Corsair Community

Power Supply compatability

DEF_MUTE

I have just made a huge jump into power pc's after years of fiddling with moderately priced rigs and am in the process of actually building my second rig. After having done a bit of research I made the purchases I thought would be best, but then I was researching further prior to delivery of parts and found some information I wasnt aware of as far as the PSU is concerned with DDR2 required specifications about complying with EPS 12v.

The PSU I ordered is not labeled as EPS specifically, (PSU: Thermaltake W0073RU PurePower PST520W Series 520W Power Supply w/Active PFC), so I was hoping someone could tell me if it would be sufficient for the Corsair TWINX 2X1048-5400C4 DDR2 RAM, or do I need to insure the EPS specification by purchasing one that actually says it does indeed conform?

And, since this is only my second build ANY other advice as far as compatability issues would be greatly appreciated.

The specs are as follows...

MOBO: Asus P5WD2 Premium 955X P4/Celeron 1066FSB LGA775 DDR2

CPU: Intel Pentium® D Processor 830 3.0GHz, 800MHz FSB, Socket 775, 2x1MB Cache, Dual Core

RAM:Corsair TWIN2X1048-5400C4 2GB DDR2-667 XMS2-5400 Xtreme Performance

PSU: Thermaltake W0073RU PurePower PST520W Series 520W Power Supply w/Active PFC

Graphics: Asus Extreme N6800XT/HTD GeForce 6800XT PCI Express 256MB DDR Video Card w/HDTV, DVI-I & Dual VGA

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Special Edition WD2000JB 200GB Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM

DVD writer: Sony DRU-810A Internal Double Layer DVD±RW

DVDROM:Liteon SOHD-16P9S 16X IDE DVD-ROM

I've spent a small amount of time reading the threads here and I have to risk being depicted as an **** kisser but I would like to give THE RAM GUY my applause, my hat is off to you sir.

Suggestions from anyone are truly appreciated. Thanks to all. :roll:

OK, so I went ahead and spent another $160 bucks USD and made a purchase of another PSU (Thermaltake W0049RUC Silent PurePower 680W Power Supply w/Active PFC, and does indeed specifically say it supports EPS), and I am still expecting delivery of the other PSU which is due in today. I am an impatient n00b so I bit the bullet.

Now, when I recieve all of my equipment I will have an opportunity to test each Unit and see if there is any great difference or difficulty with a power supply used in conjunction with DDR2, one with EPS/one without.

I have read many threads in this forum with similar builds as I am attempting, many of which seem to have some problems, and none have mentioned the EPS specification even if the power supply has been suspect.

If I find anything worth coming back to inform you guys about, I will do exactly that. Thank you all for your time and consideration.

But, if I have any other problems, this forum may not be my first choice. Maybe I will use the telephone support. Forgive my impatience, I do realize this was a holiday weekend, I am just mucho anxious to get started on this build.

Well I don't like Thermaltake PSU's , I trust my hardware to Seasonic and Enermax PSU's these company's have proven themselves to be realiable and I think even the Thermaltake 680 Watt is not that powerfull at the 12 volt rail even compared to 500 watt models of the other brands mentioned. But it will work but ....

Is anyone familiar with the EPS 12v spefication requirement for DDR2 RAM? After 3 days and not one single reply, I am anxious to hear almost any response to my query...

While likes and dislikes are relative only to the one making the statement...

I am glad that you got to post your system specs, that was the most useful comment you had. But, let's not get into an arguement. I really had hoped for something more applicable.

I am a n00b as stated previously, and this is only my second build, so let me explain my reasoning for choosing Thermaltake PSU... Since I also purchased a Thermaltake Case, I figured it would be a no-brainer to fit the PSUs from Thermaltake. Yes, that is a n00bish choice, but since I am weak in math I didn't want to force myself to break out my Windows calculator just to convert centimeters to inches then figure out the difference between "L" x "W" x "D"...

Forgive me, this reply was simpy for comedic relief, not to encourage further arguement over childish things. The parts came in a while ago and I am assembling them as we speak so let me get back to that. Thanks again, and I will be sure to let you know how it went.

Well I hope that everything turns out fine mate, you got some good hardware there. In case you run into trouble it could well be the PSU that is a little weak in the 12 volt department. Also most users are AMD64 users and little go for Intel hence the slow response I guess.

But remember we are always here for ya in case you ahve probs with memory or settings.

Good luck with the build, take ya time, don't overrush it !!

Ok, Mr leeghoofd you were correct. After recieving the parts for my new computer I did indeed find that Thermaltake PSUs do not have sufficient amperage at the 12v-2 rail. I have not powered the rig up yet, I found this out reading the manuals.

The first PSU I purchased, (Thermaltake Purepower Power Station 520W ATX 12V 2.0), maxed out at 15 amps on the 12v-2, and the second one (Thermaltake Purepower 680W w/EPS) did worse than that at only 8 amps.

This ASUS P5WD2 Premium motherboard used in conjunction with a Pentium D processor suggests at least 16 amps at the 12v-2 rail.

Another thing I found out about the original question I asked on the EPS specification requirement for the DDR2 memory... One difference between EPS is that it utilizes all 8 pins on the 12v connector instead of just 4 like those PSU units which do not comply with the EPS standard.

If Mr leeghoofd had been more willing to share his vast knowledge it would have been a great help to me, and probably others reading these threads, instead of those silly inuendos about him liking one brand over another. Then without any further restraint you felt it was necessary to provide your preference of one cpu over another. Neither of those comments were necessary.

I am a n00b at building power rigs, but don't confuse that as me being childish enough to enter into an arguement that should be left some place like Yahoo's Hacker Lounge. I am not going to debate the reasons I choose which hardware, I simply came here for some help and suggestions.

The debate over AMD vs Intel is all too well known to sully this forum with, we could do that elsewhere. But, I do thank you for letting me know that I should have done more research before jumping in. It has cost me a tad over $300 which I will have to eat the restocking fees and the shipping on, but I am learning fast. I just wish it had been less costly.

So, the answer to my original question is that yes, when using DDR2 you do need to be sure the PSU is compliant with the EPS standard, and if you are running a dual core CPU make sure the 12V-2 rail will provide at least 16 amps (at least with this P5WD2 Premium motherboard).

Anyone else out there that is new to these issues I suggest you download the manuals for the motherboard, CPU, PSU, and memory first before making the purchases.

You can't always count on other people to give you straight answers which are of use.

Thanks again

Ok after doing more research (while testing sleep deprivation), I have found that I am getting different specifications on the same PSU units from different sites. Either there are quite a few typos out there or I am reading the wrong info.

I was pleasantly surprised to learn about multiple lines of power to supply enough oomph to these systems, but I am now seeing that it is quite confusing to see varying information involving the specs of the same unit all over the internet.

I was searching for yet a third PSU because the last info I got for the 680W Thermaltake unit was depicted as having only 8 amps on the second 12V rail, to find out now that this unit actually has 3 rails.

At any rate, it seems this unit has ample amperage on the 12V-2 rail, (23A) but seems a bit low on the 12V-1 rail, (just 14A), and the 12V-3 rail is 15A. This information is directly from Thermaltake's website instead of the retailer I made the original purchase from.

I suppose I will opt out of sending this one back and give it a try. I could go broke returning merchandise. The price one pays for education I guess...

Temper temper, calm down, I just wanted to advise you and I saw your thread on the PSU a few days ago. I just wanted to warn you because I had a Thermaltake PSU ( about when I started with the AMD64 experience ) and had nothing but trouble with the PC even with it's 550watt rating. Browsing this and other forums pointed me in the 12 volt direction where indeed as you claimed the wattage is just too low .It could work mate but I think if you plug it in it could be you cannot return it. Try to give the vendor a ring and tell them that you want to swap it. I just find it sad that the customer service of these (online or not ) shops is so poor. Even here when you enter a shop they state all hardware you buy and assemble has to be chosen at your discretion. Damn they need to help and give ya advice.

We are all users here to help ya out, plus this advice is for free I don't see what I did wrong, I just share personal experiences :confused:and you had ordered the PSU already. But I still think it will run fine ...

• Corsair Employees

DEF_MUTE

Thank you for the compliment, and I am sorry I am late in replying.

I would have to agree with leeghoofd too some extent about the PSU seeming to be problematic. I have seen this unit being the cause of several problems on our forum and on a few that I visit. I don’t think its bad design or anything, just some MB's seem to be more temper mental with the quality of power its producing.

And if a friend can maybe help you test your system with another PSU that might help you to make sure thats the problem. In addition, I would set you memory voltage to 2.1 Volts as well if you have not tried that.

I am just way too anxious is all. Forgive my impatience. It will work out one way or another I'm sure. I'm still hoping the retailer isn't selling me an older version which doesn't have the amperage which it states on Thermaltake's site. But, then by the time it gets here, (delivery tomorrow), I may just take the restocking fee as a lesser loss and go for a better unit.

Thanks guys, and again I apologize for my snippy attitude. I've dealt with too many people in yahoo I guess. LMAO!

I'll let ya know how it all turns out. Thanks again

Hey leeghoofd, RAM GUY...

Just wanted to let you know I got done with the build, and everything is stable after finding out this cpu (PentiumD 830, 3.0ghz) runs a bit warm. I read more Intel Data Sheets than I care to mention.

To help things out a bit in this area, I purchased a Zalman Heatsink/Fan, (with a cool blue LED) :laughing: . That brought down the temps enough to run Half Life2 and Unreal Tournament 2004 for a few hours with no problems, although I need to run a few utilities to find out the real status of things.

All is stable at default bios settings and I think I am going to leave it there until I finish my next project... Since I have a machine shop, I'm going to build my own water cooler to bring this thing under better control so I can begin tweaking a bit.

The ThermalTake PSU (PurePower 680W w/EPS) seems suitable for now. I had decided to give it a try after finding a few decent reviews from some respected sites and all seems well at the moment.

Thanks again to you both

Archived