Corsair Community

VS1GBKIT400C3 Compatibility

ianthegecko

I have a Shuttle ST61G4 and got VS1GBKIT400C3 memory to use in it. The PC crashes continually with various errors but all related to memory, I have tried adjusting the settings to DDR333 and 2.7V as recommended elsewhere on the forum but this does not improve the situation. If I remove 1 stick of memory the PC works fine, this is true for both memory sticks and slots on the MoBo. Shuttle have told me the memory is not compatible but it is shown as recommended on your website. I do not have another PC to test the memory in but I am convinced it is not just a faulty chip. How do I fix this to get the full 1GB of memory working in this pc?

• Corsair Employee
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

• 1 month later...

Completed tests as specified - each individual stick of memory passes plus the two sticks together also pass. However as soon as I try and use the PC in windows the system crashes within 10 minutes when both sticks are used together whereas using only one the system works for days without any problems.

My conclusion is therefore as originally raised that the memory sticks supplied are not faulty but that their is an incompatibility between the system and the memory when both sticks are used together.

The memory modules are listed as suitable for this system on the Corsair website and this specification seems to me to be at fault as clearly the motherboard doesn't work well with paired sticks, the recommended memory should be changed to only single sticks and I should be able to exchange the memory I have for a single stick version that works.

• Corsair Employee
If you are not getting errors in memtest that would suggest some other problem, have toy checked for the stop error in Event log and see what might be the cause from http://www.microsoft.com/technet? Hvae you also checked with the MB maker to see if there might be a newer bios available that might solve this?

Archived