Corsair Community

Quieting Corsair Hydrocool EX

Palliator

I have a Hydrocool EX that has been happily running for quite some time now. My only wish is that the unit was a little quieter, especially now since I have made recent efforts in quieting the rest of my system. That said, I was wondering if I could expect a noticeable drop in noise by swapping the Bosch pump with a Delphi/Laing DDC pump like used in the Swiftech/Corsair kits? It does not appear to be a difficult replacement and I am not expecting a miracle as far as noise reduction goes, but I really like the Hydrocool and any reduction is welcomed. I would also consider a quieter fan if I can find one that puts out similar CFM, but that will come later. Any opinions are appreciated.

Do you live in Canada ?? If so; order a Glacial Tech 120mm Silent Blade fan; from Anitec Computers in Vancouver BC. (Google it)

37CFM @19dba, & 950RPM. Not yet available in the USA ( as far as I know). Available in Europe. A very quiet fan that pushes a lot of air.

That fan is very quiet, but severely underpowered compared to the AVC fan that is stock with the Hydrocool. I did some research and question whether I will bother with swapping the fan. I don't want to raise my temperatures by putting in a low speed fan, but that is probably going to be the only way to reduce fan noise. Even the Papst fans, which are quite costly at electronic parts suppliers, seem to have similar specs (dB) to the AVC fan. That said, the only way to really find out is to purchase the fan, mount in the the Hydrocool, and do a subjective listen test. I don't have the time or money to bother. I am thinking about trying this Panaflo fan http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/pa12hisp.html , which is similiar to the stock fan and less than half the cost of EBM-Papst. I have had good luck with Panaflo fans and the price is acceptable. In any event, the current fan noise is acceptable so I am not going out of my way to do a replacement. I am still strongly considering the pump swap though; hopefully someone will chime in on that. :D:

Pallitor

you can check this fan out, ithinks its what you look for.;):

the pump question, MCP350 should be an easy swap 3/8 to 3/8. note use a pair of side cutters to remove old pump clamps an replace with new ones, also you can thin out the mix to 10% PG & distilled water with delphi pump, where as with bosch needed 33% mix. try an get the second version of the MCP350 for first had start up troubles.

Nice post Kapt. :): I think I'll go ahead and get the pump. I am going to get it from Newegg, mainly because I have a $25 promo code to apply. Hopefully the pump will be the newer revision. And yes, that is a very nice fan. :D: I will post results on this forum once the swap is complete.

I will see about the PG to distilled water ratio. I know with the Bosch pump if I didn't have enough PG it was quite noisy. It would sound like a lot of air was trapped in the line but adding more PG corrected that. I am sure that is why I recall the coolant ratio being higher than what I used in my past watercooling system. It seems to increase the viscosity and I remember reading somewhere it acts as a lubricant for the Bosch pump. My only question: is 10% enough PG to protect the waterblock and radiator in this new setup? I know this will increase cooling performance a bit, but I don't want issues with corrosion. This is obviously a subject I know nothing about, hence why I want to confirm before making changes to the usual 33% Hydrocool mixture.

EDIT: Ugh, the MCP350 is now OOS at Newegg. Why does this ALWAYS happen to me when I am about to place an order for something...

Palliator,

When swapping out the Bosch pump for the DDC-1 pump, the reservoir needs a fitting reducer. The one listed on this page fits like a glove.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=6914&product%5Fid=7957

61147 3/4" x 3/8" $0.63 cents. ;)

You will need to keep the DDC-1 pump almost 3" back from the reservoir to allow the pump output fitting to curve upward. This way the tubing in the HydroCool would meet the flow indicator. On my pump conversion, I had to remove the flow indicator since the DDC-1 pump has higher flow. The flow indicator spins so fast and gets too loud! You may be able to just run the tubing to the HX and take out the 90 degree restrictive bend. I left the light in for the visual effects. :sunglasse

Just some thoughts for you.

Stev

Thanks Stev. I saw your previous post about fitting the COOL in the Hydrocool and went by that when I went on my spree at US Plastics. :D: I did get that reducer for the reservoir as well as some tubing and clamps. I also bought an elbow fitting because I noticed the fittings that come out of the Laing pump are horizontal and I was concerned the tubing would kink if I curved it too much. I am not sure if I will use it, but it was only a few cents so no loss either way. I am disappointed to hear about the flow indicator and wish I knew about it earlier. My whole purpose to all of this is to reduce noise! I noticed US Plastic also has a similiar flow indicator that uses a nylon ball. The item number is 17240. I wonder if it would hold up any better than the one that is stock in the Hydrocool. If what you said is true about the indicator, I won't bother keeping it. I could run tubing directly from the radiator to the pump. I will have to see about that when I do the switch, but when I checking out the whole setup it looks like one big bottleneck just for that indicator.

I also noticed you recommended a 20% PG mixture. ;):

I also noticed you recommended a 20% PG mixture. ;):

Palliator,

Yes, 20%PG and 80% distilled water should work well. This ratio, along with flushing the system once a year, will do. The HC's HX is all aluminum and the cold-block is all copper.

The COOL is mentioned to be at 10%PG and 90% distilled water. This ratio works with the HX the COOL uses.

As for the tubing, mount the DDC-1 about 3" max away from the reservior. The Superphane or ClearFlex60/70 should turn without kinking within that diameter.

When you ordered the DDC-1 pump, did it come with a neoprene or foam pad to reduce noise when it is mounted?

When you have your mod's done post a few pictures. I'm not a liberty to post any of mine since the work is internal company property.

As for the flow-indicator, P/N 17240, forget it. It really hinders flow. We had originally used that type in the first HC prototypes. The fittings on that indicator are a bear to manage too. If you changed the 1/4" tubing to the cold-block to 3/8" you can include the existing flow-indicator there.

Stev

I didn't order the pump yet. I'm still waiting for Newegg to stock it so I can apply my promo code, but I may have to go elsewhere if it doesn't show up soon. I received my stuff today from US Plastic. Service, as usual, was super fast. I also ordered that Sanyo-Denki 120mm fan to replace the AVC fan. That should arrive tomorrow. I guess I will have to go without a flow indicator. It was never really anything to look at and it appears quite restrictive to flow, but of course quite functional. As for the lamp, I replaced mine with a blue LED a while ago. Without the flow indicator I am not sure I will keep it. Am still using the 1/4" tubing with the stock cold block on my socket 754 system. When I upgrade to whatever socket AMD or Intel has in store in the upcoming year, I'll make the change then as it will then be necessary. Looks like I will be getting a lot of unexpected mileage from my Hydrocool. I will post pics as soon as I get it all in the Hydrocool and hopefully working. :roll:

• 1 month later...
I finally got all of the parts needed to do the conversation and installed everything today. That all being a Sanyo-Denki 120mm fan, the tubing, clamps, the 3/8" reservoir fitting, and of course the Delphi/Laing/Swiftech pump. Installation was pretty smooth. No leaks or failures thus far. I must say, given the pump DDC pump has the correct fittings and converters are not needed, the installation is a lot cleaner looking than the stock setup. I also left off the flow meter and ran the tubing from the HX directly to pump. I used a 20% PG mixture, which is actually a bit more given there was coolant left in the tubing running to the cold block. The only thing I wish I had done was locate the pump closer to the reservoir. I don't like having the pump in the path of the air intake, but it is too late now. My concern was bending the tubing too much and also didn't want it pulling the pump upwards seeing I mounted it using the adhesive pad. The good thing is that I installed a molex connector to the 12V power line, so swapping the pump will be easy if needed. I will post pics if anyone is interested. Operation is quiet, you can hear the pump working but not like the Bosch pump which had a humming sound. The HC definitely vibrates less. It's too early to say temperatures are significantly improved. My temps are definitely lower, but my room is for the moment cooler than normal. I will have to keep monitoring temperatures to note the level of improvement. When I upgrade my system and need a new waterblock for whatever socket it supports, I will convert the rest of the tubing to 3/8". Needless to say, I will be using my HC for some time to come.

Archived