Corsair Community

A8N32-SLI Deluxe: which TWINX pair will fit as 4 GB?

bbakermai

I'm getting an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe (when they are back in stock <g>), and while the Asus product page specifically mentions the TwinX2048-3500LLPro pairs as being tuned to this board, the Qualified Vendor List (QVL) shows that only one pair can fit on the board. The RamGuy wizard recommends the Twinx2048-3200c2 (and/or Pt variant) kit (but also shows the 3500 in the additional compatible memory list), and the Asus QVL shows that two pairs can fit. I want to take this board to 4 GB with the best memory possible. Can anyone else confirm that the 3500LLPro will not fit 4 sticks in this mobo? And if I have to get the 3200c2, what is the preference for black (stock) or Platinum (Pt). Is this just an appearance thing (I will not have a view window on my case), or are there heat transfer considerations? Thanks!

I'm getting an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe (when they are back in stock <g>), and while the Asus product page specifically mentions the TwinX2048-3500LLPro pairs as being tuned to this board, the Qualified Vendor List (QVL) shows that only one pair can fit on the board. The RamGuy wizard recommends the Twinx2048-3200c2 (and/or Pt variant) kit (but also shows the 3500 in the additional compatible memory list), and the Asus QVL shows that two pairs can fit. I want to take this board to 4 GB with the best memory possible. Can anyone else confirm that the 3500LLPro will not fit 4 sticks in this mobo? And if I have to get the 3200c2, what is the preference for black (stock) or Platinum (Pt). Is this just an appearance thing (I will not have a view window on my case), or are there heat transfer considerations? Thanks!

The problem with four sticks of memory on any current DDR400 dual-channel motherboard (AMD or Intel) is that they cannot reliably run that many double-rank sticks of memory at such tight timings. What's more, the TWINX2048-3500LLPRO has a custom-programmed SPD which gets autodetected at 2-3-2-6 timings @ DDR400. As a result, your system may not even post with four 3500LL modules at default SPD-detected timings. In fact, with current AMD platforms, you cannot use four double-rank sticks of memory with SPD's that are programmed at anything tighter than 2.5-3-3-x @ DDR400 - and even then, the current Asus motherboard BIOSes will limit you to a memory speed of DDR333 with all four slots populated with double-rank modules.

Thanks guys for the replies.

1) I'll be running XP x64 as my host OS and need 4 GB to do VMWare development while having various 32-bit and 64-bit guest OS's available and/or running simultaneously. I plan to have an XP Pro 32-bit guest running all the time as well for access to things I cannot immediately access with XP x64 (e.g., printer, etc. due to drivers being 'real soon now').

2) I'm just beginning to understand all the ins and outs of CAS/RAS memory timings, so I really appreciate all the detail. The A8N32-SLI Deluxe QVL claims that it's able to support 4 of the 1 GB 3200c2(pt) sticks at spec, and the Corsair configurator points to the c2's as the primary recommendation, but RJLeong65's comments make me wonder, since the timing on the 3200c2's is also listed at 2-3-3-6 (like the 3500LLPro's). I suspect it will have to be run at 2T and at 2.75 volts to post.

Thanks again. Hopefully, the RamGuy will also jump in here.

...RJLeong65's comments make me wonder, since the timing on the 3200c2's is also listed at 2-3-3-6 (like the 3500LLPro's)...

Actually, the 3200C2's use JEDEC-standard SPD's programmed for 3-3-3-8 timings @ DDR400. The timings need to be manually overriden and set to the tested 2-3-3-6 values.

• 1 year later...

Archived