Corsair Community

Asus A8N-SLI and Twinx2048-3500LLPRO

EnochLight

Greetings,

Found this forum from pcper.com. I just picked up an Asus A8N-SLI Premium and plan to purchase 2 gigs of Twinx2048-3500LLPRO. However, I see that it is made to go at 433 Mhz (DDR 3200), yet the A8N-SLI supports 400 Mhz for RAM.

Will this be a problem running my Twinx2048-3500LLPRO at 433 Mhz, or should I "underclock" it for this board?

Thanks!

But should I underclock it?

I just read the product info PDF for the Twinx2048-3500LLPRO and it appears that part of the product's testing procedure (prior to being boxed and shipped from Corsair) is to be clocked at 437 Mhz on an A8N-SLI.

Does this mean that the A8N can do 437 Mhz fine?

i have the same board (which i just bought) FX-57 tho, and have just started looking for ram. yes i have seen corsairs recommendations also, this thread interests me. come on you ram wizards, help this guy out (me too). lol.

i,m trying not to thread jack but maybe someone can answer both. what should i get, i would like to OC, stability you know. throw some info our way guys. thx.

I'll give it a stab, sort of the "Cliff Notes" version. The A8N-SLI boards are rated at 400mghz stock - no overclocking settings used. The 3500 designation in the model number indicates that the sticks bearing that number are capable of being overclocked with the cpu and the board's FSB (front side bus) to a tested overclock of 437mghz versus a 3200 designation tested at 400mghz. AMD processors prefer to run in 1:1 synch with the ram or instability will result most of the time. So if your not planning on overclocking your X2 or Fx57 its best to leave the ram at 400mghz. Further down the road however, if you decide to get a bit more performance out of your system and dabble in some overclocking you'll already have ram on board capable of being overclocked, as long as the particular cpu your using will let you do it. Cpu's, even in the same batch, vary as to how much of an overclock they'll do reliably on any particular board as well as vary between different branded boards with the same chipset and ram. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Archived