Corsair Community

A7V880 Memory Compatibility

Margin Walker

Hi!

I have an Asus A7V880 MB with 1GB of Corsair Value Select RAM (2 x 512MB DDR DIMMS) and was trying to upgrade to 2GB. I purchase another set of the Value Select RAM, but cannot get the PC to load windows with all four sticks installed. It starts, POSTs and then resets. Any combination of 2 works just fine, but I get nothing with all four installed no matter how I set the BIOS (running version 1010 beta 4 atm but tried 1008 and 1009 as well). Current settings are:

2.5-3-3-8

DIM voltage set at 2.75

Bus Speed 266

2T Command Timing Enabled

Dual Channel Enabled

when I looked in this thread: http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35534

It looked as if someone there had a similar memory & mb set up and was able to get it up and running.

The ASUS website is no help other than to offer the fact that my MB is not supposed to support more than 2 sticks of 512MB Value Select. I didn't see that until after I had purchased of course :sigh!:

Any ideas as to how I could get this up and running with all 4 sticks?

Any ideas on MB that might support 4 sticks of the 512MB Value Select if I can't?

Thanks in advance.

The ASUS website is no help other than to offer the fact that my MB is not supposed to support more than 2 sticks of 512MB Value Select.
I think you've just answered your own question. Now, as to why this happens I think only ASUS can answer your question. Now if only they could at least answer their emails...

IRT Ram Guy: I know that I have the memory frequency set to DDR266. I will try the other settings that you suggested.

I am running Windows XP pro with all updates installed.

IRT Jabberwok: I thought that until I saw a couple of posts on this board of people who claimed to be running the Corsair Value RAM x 4 on the A7V880 board. I bought an Asus board because of their supposedly good reputation, and the board itself has run reasonably well, but their support is just plain awful.

Thanks for your input. I'm going to keep trying at this for tonight anyway.

• Corsair Employees
Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

I finally got it to boot tonight!

Ran memtest on all modules individually and all passed all tests with no errors.

Changed the settings to those suggested above by RAM GUY and was still unable to boot the machine. I then disabled the "Quick Boot" thinking that the full POST might catch something. At that point I got a "RAM R/W Test Failed" message but it allows me to continue and boot into Windows. It seems to be operating normally at this point although I haven't tested it beyond running firefox at this point.

What exactly does the "RAM R/W Test Failed" mean?

Is it likely that my system will be unstable even though I can get it to boot now due to this error?

Thanks.

Well, it was up and running. My PC spontaneously shuts down completely. Because of the boot error, I wanted to run some stress tests so that if there were problems I could try and get them back to the retailer that I purchased them from. I tried three times and the longest the machine lasted before shutting down was about 20 seconds on two different testing utilities :( It also shut down on me playing Battlefield 2 as well.

At this point it is seeming like much more of a headache than it is worth so I am going to RMA them and stick with my 1GB and sink my $$ into some other upgrade.

Thanks for the help though. Happy holidays.

Archived