Corsair Community

Defective XL memory

DCKC

Ok, this New Post is for My Friend DARKLORD159, I am posting on his behalf as his patience has run thin.

His Memory is TWINX 3200XLPT

Does Not run at specified ratings in the following:

Gigabyte Triton Series NF2 with Ath 2800

MSI K8T Neo Via KT800 754 Mobo with 3700 Ath64 CPU

And this new setup, as below, which he purchased as he was lead to believe his problems were to do with CPU Mem Controller or the Mobo.

MOBO: MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum 939 Board with AGP

CPU: ATHLON 64 3500+ Venice Core with 2000Mhz FSB

PSU: HIPER Type R

GFX: ASUS V9999 256MB 6800GE

Mobo settings as default, DOT turned off, No overclock options or Performance settings selected.

Memory appears to pass Memtest when set to 2,3,3,5

2,2,2,5 / 2.5,2,2,5 Fails

Voltage: 2.75 @ 2,2,2,5 In excess of 83 errors on Memtest TEST 5 First Pass Incomplete

Voltage: 2.75 @ 2,3,2,5 In excess of 40 errors on Memtest TEST 5 First Pass Incomplete

Voltage: 2.75 @ 2,3,3,5 Memtest TEST 5 Pass

Please Note: Test 5 selected for ease of Testing

TEST 8 Produces Multiple Failures Too

Memory Bandwidth Speeds at 2,3,3,5 and 2,3,3,6(Identical to C2 Memory Settings) are Identical, Thus Using This XL Memory appears to have No performance advantage over C2.

According to Your own Test Report it should Operate at Specified Latencies on this Mobo http://memtest.corsairmemory.com/print_report.aspx?model=MSI++K8N+Neo2+Platinum&pn=TWINX1024-3200XL&id=5010 This Uses the Identical CPU and GFX Card

Using Thermal Sensor on Memory Heat Spreader, Temperatures of >57 Deg C are Reached before Additional Case Cooling Kicks In - Is This Normal ?

Results appear better than previous two Mobo's tested

He already has an RMA, but has to return the Modules to Fremont which is quite costly from here in the UK, therefore what he was asking for was some form of assurance that the replacement Memory would Function correctly. The C2 tested is mine, which operates at the same latencies in his Mobo as he can currently operate his XL(2,3,3,6). The difference being as his Memory cost him twice as much, he should be able to operate at tighter latencies without error, but he cannot, and as the errors have now been verified in Three different Mobo's with Three different CPU's, to me this is conclusive.

His previous posting, to alleviate confusion, was NOT referring to 3200XL in Conjunction with 3700 Memory - The A3700 referred to the ATHLON 3700. The C2 memory was tested for comparison, THE POINT being, that the XL will only run, without issues, at the same speed as C2(2,3,3,6) - THE C2 WAS NOT TESTED AT XL SETTINGS

One Final question - Should CORSAIR Memory be fitted with the Clips on the Heat Spreaders or NOT, as different documents seem to show it with and without. A point which I would also like to bring to your attention is - The Heat spreaders over time appear to become compressed in the centre by the clips, causing the spreader to bow. In addition there appears to be quite a gap between the IC's and the Spreader, this being filled by what I imagine to be conductive adhesive, this can't be good for efficient heat transfer ???

This question has been answered before. YES THEY WILL GUARANTEE THEIR OPERATION AT THE RATED SPEEDS.

That's what the LIFETIME warranty means. They guarantee that they'll do what they're supposed to do, namely 200 Mhz @ 2-2-2-5 timings.

Since you're both in the UK though, you may want to check with the reseller (retailer / shop) and/or their distributor, as they may help you out with the RMA process.

Well so far he has had the "due to different factors....", some Mobo's....." type answers leading him to sell one Mobo and CPU already.

Three sets of equipment and One common factor seems conclusive to me, but after every other component in his system/s getting the blame, he wished to have some asurance that if he did spend out on the return, that the replacement items would work at specified latencies.

• Corsair Employee

Does not run at specified ratings in the following:

Gigabyte Triton Series NF2 with Ath 2800 = You would be limited to DDR333 with this system, because of the CPU speed, unless you over clock, then we would need more information to know the problem

MSI K8T Neo Via KT800 754 Mobo with 3700 Ath64 CPU =

Same with this MB DDR333 would be suggested if you use more than one module as that is a chipset limitation.

Please Note: Test 5 selected for ease of Testing

TEST 8 Produces Multiple Failures Too

Failures in test 5 7 or 8 with http://www.memtest.org would suggest some other problem. Now Darklord really needs to have patience and we can try and help him figure it out but doing this third and or fourth hand is not productive for us or him.

Now for your configuration, the CPU you have listed is a new dual core and these new cores do not seem to like 1t command rate but you should test the modules one at a time to make sure on is not failing.

Have you done that? And what is the make and model of your PSU?

Cheers for the advice, will keep the 1T recommendation in mind. As this PC is in the Build process with the Mobo now changed to Asus A8n SLI Premium with Leadtek 6800GT, the C2 has not had any prolonged use. Functionality is fine in Darklords machines, unlike his XL, so fingers crossed, I am not expecting any compatability issues. The C2 was only tested to eliminate any possability that Darklords system was at fault. The C2 had NO failures. My PSU is of a 400w generic type, with 550w Aspire on order, not the best but does not appear many of real expensive units have faired much better under test. Darklords Unit is per his Post, 480w Hiper type R, one of the better ones I think you will agree.

Regards Darklords Issues, His new system Utilises the NF3 Chipset, with the Memory Configured as Dual Channel. Failures in Either Dual Channel or Single Channel Modes. Test 5 / 8 were not the only failing tests, but failures appeared almost from the start and hence the reason we used these. Test 6 was another common Failure.

I'll ask him to post his observations to you.

• Corsair Employee

Well for your friend the only thing I can say is I have no problem replacing his modules, but from everything I have heard I would suspect some other issue. You might ask him to contact his reseller and see if they will help him test and or replace his modules.

With your system I would suggest you use only a PSU that ASUS has qualified or one thats been tested with this MB, I have seen several having trouble with the Aspier PSU's now whether its becasue of the config or just a compatibality issue I do not know.

There is a great wealth of information at hardwareanalysis.com if you have not looked at this thread you may find it helpful.

Many Thanks

I personally cant see any other problem with Darklords set up.

Good Hiper PSU

Another PSU tested without Dual rail

No Earth faults

All drives disconnected except for a bootable unit

No external Connections to printers or the such like

No BIOS Performance settings, all set to Dull n Drab Mode

His supplier, he has tried and although a very large UK company, they do not appear very forthcoming with an RMA.

MOBO: MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum NF3 939 Board with AGP

CPU: ATHLON 64 3500+ Venice Core with 2000Mhz FSB

PSU: HIPER Type R

GFX: ASUS V9999 256MB 6800GE

He is correct in believing that his XL should run in this Mobo at specified latencies, Yes ?

• Corsair Employee

Yes they should run at the tested settings on a MOBO: MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum 939 Board with AGP

CPU: ATHLON 64 3500+ Venice Core with 2000Mhz FSB. However, I have seen many users reporting more issues with modules like these with these new core CPU's which seem to suggest bios issues or the bios may just need to mature a bit more. However, as I said we can sure try replacing his modules if he wants.

Many thanks.

One other question, the clips on the heat spreaders, they should be left in place, yes ? Just that some pictures do not appear to show them, but what I have observed is that as the heat spreaders do not meet in the middle, or indeed at the ends, over time the clips squeeze them together causing them to bow.

Regards my C2 memory and latest project, many many boot problems, removing CPU to confirm Mobo was workin, so that it happily reported CPU failure, suggested a problem elsewhere. After removing Mobo, swapping PSU's etc, we tried some nondescript memory, instant boot. Now being able to adjust DDR Voltage to 2.75v, my C2 worked fine. Did take a while to hit upon this though, rather annoying, and if it wasnt for having generic kicking around anybody else would be a little stuck.

Archived