Corsair Community

Corsair VS2GBKIT533D2 With Dell dimension E510

ryang888

Is VS2GBKIT533D2 compatible with Dell E510 which is on the way of delivery?

The web told me the following memory is compatible with E510

CMSS1GB-533

CMSS512MB-533

CMSS256MB-533

However, it is really expensive to get 2 Gb with above three memorys. In contrast, VS2GBKIT533D2 will provide 2 Gb with reasonable price.

I want to know the compatibility of VS2GBKIT533D2 with E510 before I make the order. However, I spend the whole morning to search the web without any information on that.

Thanks for your help!

They may work in the Dell if you remove the Dell memory, but certainly not with the Dell memory.

As for the higher price of CMSS memory:

CMSS parts are built with a restricted bill of materials deemed to provide the best compatibility with OEM systems. As such, we often do not have the capability to use low cost material.

Thanks for your reply!

By the way, the E510 with 256MB is at home now. I really need some kind of memory to upgrade this computer.

From the web somebody mentioned that this memory is compatible with Dell dimension 9100, 4700, etc. Nobody mentioned E510, or 5150, or 5100. I hope it will compatible with my E510, because I will decide whether I order one or not. You also think it is most likely compatible with E510.

Based on your message, I would say VS2GBKIT533D2 is made from low cost materials, right? Is that mean this memory will has less relibility and durability (short life time)?

Second question, if I am unlucky enough that this memory is not compatible with E510, could I return this memory to the retailer?

Another question which might be tribial to you. Some memorys has the same specification, such as all are DDR2, NECC, 1.8V, unbuffered, an so on. Why the compatibility is still a problem? How the material involved into the compatibility?

thanks!

Based on your message, I would say VS2GBKIT533D2 is made from low cost materials, right? Is that mean this memory will has less relibility and durability (short life time)?

No. OEM systems are just picky as hell and as such, higher cost material needs to be used.

Second question, if I am unlucky enough that this memory is not compatible with E510, could I return this memory to the retailer?
Depends on the retailer.

Another question which might be tribial to you. Some memorys has the same specification, such as all are DDR2, NECC, 1.8V, unbuffered, an so on. Why the compatibility is still a problem? How the material involved into the compatibility?
GOOD question! Too bad no one ever asks it!

It's mainly due to the design of the memory. They can meet the same specs, but the inner workings differ enough that they'll throw up when together.

Thanks to Wired for your explaination!

I am so glad to see that my E510 is working normally after the installation of the new memory, VS2GBKIT533D2. In addition, Memtest didn't produce any error during 3 times pass. I would have let the memtest run longer if I had more patience. I think 3 pass in memtest should good enough for my daily use of my E510.

When I plug in the memorys side by side, memtest shows they are working single channel. Later when I plug them in odd slots, they start working as double channel. I guess doulble channel will give fast speed which is related to the design of computer. Could you explain a little more about the single channel and doulbe channel? If it's too complex, please just skip this question.

By the way, now that this memory is compatible with my E510, what will be the advantage of CMSS1GB-533 over VS2GBKIT533D2? I guess CMSS1GB-533 will be be more reliable. How about the speed?

The two memorys is designed differently and works differently as well, although both memorys satisfy the same specifications, such as NECC, DDR2, 533MHz, etc. Generally speaking, the parameter of 533MHz should contribute the most to the speed because the 533MHz memory should be faster than 400MHz memory. Given the same computer, E510 in this case, and memorys with the same specification, CMSS1GB-533 and VS2GBKIT533D2 in this case, what does the speed depend on?

Thanks for your help!

• Corsair Employee

The Value Select and System Select modules are functionally the same. CMSS parts are built with a restricted bill of materials deemed to provide the best compatibility with OEM systems. As such, we often do not have the capability to use low cost material.

I expect that the VS part will work correctly in your system. And, of course, Corsair's lifetime warranty is in full effect if it does not. Our confidence of first pass success is highest, however, with CMSS parts.

Archived