Corsair Community

Memtest says my 512mb pc3200 is bad - Next steps?

I have 3 sticks of -

vs512mb400

memtest reported that my 3rd 512mb stick of ValueSelect pc3200 is bad (getting errors). I have tested it while my other two sticks are in my motherboard along with testing it solo (my other two working sticks pulled). As long as the third stick in not in the mobo, the other two work flawlessly in any configuration. The modules are not being overclocked and they are running at default timings. What should my next steps be since 2 of the exact same sticks of ram work while the third doesn't. RMA?

Please let me know.

Thank you for your time.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, the memory is set to the default timings (2.5 3 3 8). The FSB I am using is 400 (pc3200). I am also using the default vdimm voltage (it should be 2.6v). It seems as if the one stick might be bad since the other two (same part #) run fine. Let me know if you need me to change any settings.

Thanks!

I tried 2.7v as well for the ram (with same default timings - 2.5 3 3 8). Memtest still detects errors in less than 30 seconds. Usually I can at least make it to the Windows desktop on boot with the ram in my pc but sometimes it freezes while booting.

Bios setting for cpu and memory -

400 fsb/pc3200 (both cpu and memory are running at this)

The ram is not overclocked. I have done all testing with the default timings at pc3200 speeds (timings 2.5 3 3 8).

Let me know if you need any other settings besides this. It seems like the one stick is bad since I could swap out it with either of my other two (same part #) sticks of ram (same settings) and they wont return errors in memtest.

• Corsair Employees
But you have a 2500 mobil CPU that will run at 133 Mhz by default have you tried not to over clock like setting the CPU at 133 MHz with the memory frequency set to 100% and see if you still get errors? From what you have described I would suspect ts the MB or CPU holding you back and I would suggest testing the modules in a known working DDR400 compatible system.

You are correct, my cpu does have a default fsb of lower than pc3200 speeds. I would test in another pc, except that the only other pc i have is a ddr2 system. The cpu has been prime95 stress tested at the 200 fsb (400 ddr) without errors using other ram (same part number as my bad stick). Each of the other two sticks work fine which leads me to think that the third stick is bad. The memory isn't oc'ed in any way, and memtest should be testing the memory, so it should pass the test without issues if similar sticks can. I don't think my motherboard is experiencing any issues either because I have 8 sticks of pc3200 from various manufacturors (3 of the sticks are Corsair ValueSelect) and the only one that has any issues in memtest is the 1 ValueSelect that I think is bad.

I can go ahead and underclock the ram for a test, but it should run successfully at pc3200 speeds as long as I use the default timings. Should I run CPU-Z to see what the SPD says the timings should be for the lower fsb (should the timings be tighter or should I stick with the pc3200 2.5 3 3 8 timings at the lower fsb)?

Archived