Corsair Community

Bad module system hangs browser and game crashes

bluehat42

I recently bought a second stick of cmx512-3200c2pt to bring my total ram to 1gb. After installing The new stick I am getting crashes to desktop with bf2 and a few other games as well as firefox and ie crashes. I ran memtest+ with both sticks installed and recieved numerous address errors, i swapped the sticks in the slots and ran again and recieved the same errors again and again. I ran memtest with each stick individually and recived no errors whatsoever after several test cycles. I have borred a cheap 512 stick of no name ram and it runs fine with the old stick at 2-3-3-6 and no memtest errors or crashes. I have yet to try the new stick with the borrowed one and see what happens. I tried rasing the voltage to 2.75 on the memory with both corsair xms sticks and still recieved numerous errors. My mb is Asus a7v600 non dual channel.

radeon 9800 pro video card and 350 watt ps. No overclocking on the processor or ram . I ran both sticks of xms at 4-3-3-8 and still recieved the errors. Any ideas?? The help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

edit::

both sticks of the corsair are the same part no. the only difference is the version number on the label, my old stick is v1.2 and the new stick is v5.2

Cpu running 13.0x and 166/33 fsb set at 400 Mhz running ram at 2.5.3.3.6 with one stick. totaly unstable with both installed. System is a little more stable with both sticks installed and running at 333 fsb but I still get errors with memtest86+. I don't get any errors with just one or the other installed at 333 or 400 mhz fsb speed. Cpu voltage is at 1.70 and Ram voltage is at 2.80. Let me know if you need more info from me. I can run either stick at 400Mhz fsb with the generic ram stick that i borrowed but not with both of the corsair sticks at the same time.

Well I must say that I am a bit dissapointed with Corsair ram. I paid a premium price for what I though was a good high quality product. If i can rum a $20 stick of Ultra ram at higer speeds than my "Premium name brand module" I guess I'll go back to the cheaper stuff and save my money. I can't seem to figure out why corsair sticks one at a time are fine (at 400mhz DDR,2.5-3-3-6), yet when combined together can't even run at their advertised speeds (2.5-3-3-6). I am truley dissapointed. if they can run at 400Mhz DDR at 2.5-3-3-6 they SHOULD be able to run A little faster at DDR333. People overclock memopry all the time in by lowering timings and raising the bus speeds. I can seem to do either.

• Corsair Employee

This is a chipset limitation, you might get one DS module to run at DDR400 or mabe even two SS modules to run at DDR400 but if you ran a memory bench mark you would find the memory performance is that of PC-2100 memory when at DDR400 with the CPU you have. I am sorry that you feal this way, but it has nothing to do with the make of the memory this is just a limitation. Please do a little research and I think you will understand better.

DS Double sided

SS Single sided

All of the chips I have ever installed in the machine have been DS pc-3200 sticks. besides I have already done what you are saying I cannot do. Albeit with another brand of ram. My problem is that the premium expensive ram can not do it. Therfore I belive that one of the sticks is defective and am merely asking for help. The chipset was desinged to run at DDR400 and thatwhat it has been doing with the cheap ram that I borrowed froma friend. It can do it with one of your chips and the cheap ram no problems. only when I combine the Corsair does it cause problems. I don't think you understand my problem.

What's the memory size of the other memory? Also, I think Ram Guy does understand your question, but he's saying the chipset specs say what you're stating shouldn't be possible. The manual for the A7V600 only says 2 sticks max @ DDR400 speeds, doesn't specify SS or DS.

Also, it's never recommended to mix memory of different revisions.

my original corsair stick is 512 mb it runs at ddr 400 with the stick of ultra 512 mb in slots 1&2, 1&3 and 2&3. the new stick will run any of the same configurations and speeds with the ultra stick in any of the same slot configurations. I know that the chipset can only support max of two sticks ddr at a time. However with BOTH corsair sticks and no Ultra stick installed (1gb of memory installed at any one time)and at any speeds in any slots and any speeds the errors and crashing begins.

Archived