Corsair Community

Is this bad RAM?

zahoff

(specs posted below)

A friend help me build my comp. I use it solely for gaming and surfing as of right now. I have the 1Gbyte TwinX matched memory pair 2-2-2-5 lat. I have only 2 games installed right now, FEAR and Everquest2. FEAR gets to a point where it crashes to desktop. This happens within 5 mins of playing single player, and randomly in multiplayer. The biggest annoyance occurs during EQ2. The game periodically skips, goes thru a hang sometimes of 20 secs. then suddenly catches up. It also crashes to desktop randomly. Just today before the game could even load me into the world i got a Blue screen with the stop error 0x00000050, with the message PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA. I have also received the stop error 0x00000080 i believe. I think this may be a RAM issue, b/c when the skips and stutters occur in EQ2 the LED lights on my RAM flicker and stutter as well in sync with the graphical lag. I ran Memtest with both sticks in. The first round of tests passed, but on the 2nd round it was one failed test after another. I had a problem installing windows last time in which window would not boot after the install. A forum lead me to change my RAM timings from auto to manual, and change the command rate to 2t (i don't know what any of that means). Other than that I have not changed any BIOS settings, nor do I overclock or change any advanced settings. I have recently upgraded drivers for my mobo, cpu and gpu which did not seem to help. I've read about but did not change or know what to do with my page file. By the way, my system can idle all day long, i can surf problem free. Problems seem to occur only during gaming. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I know my comp. should be running these games beautifully and quickly with ease. (PS turning every single graphic setting down or off in EQ yields the exact same skipping and stuttering of the game and RAM).

My specs: Abit AV8 socket 939 mobo (AwaredBIOS v6.00PG)

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ MMX 3DNow ~2.5Ghz

BFG NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT 256MB

Thermaltake XP480 400W power supply

Thermaltake Tsunami dream case

Corsair 1Gb (2*512) TwinX 2-2-2-5 400

DirectX 9.0c, Page File 149MB used, 2311 Available

If more info is needed please let me know. Thanks!

I only let it run for a few passes, since it started failing on the second pass. Since system build the RAM has been in the same slots, the 2 right-most slots of the four. I have not tried pulling/swapping the sticks. I guess I am supposed to try testing one stick at a time? Do I try each stick in each slot, in different combos, etc.?

I am assuming DC means dual-channel. The mobo manual seems to indicate that any configuration of ?single rank & double rank? of DDR400 is supported, being an amateur I don't fully understand all that it tells me. It says that 2 matched modules can be placed together in either [DIMM1] + [DIMM2], or [DIMM3] +[DIMM4]. My config is the second of these (slots b1 & b2).

Here are my initial results from memtest v1.65:

DDR Voltage changed to 2.8v

Stick(A) in DIMM3, Stick(B) in DIMM4 -

runtime: 1hr 12 mins

Pass:3 errors: 620

Stick (A) in DIMM1

runtime: 45 mins

Pass:3 errors: 0

Stick(B) in DIMM1

runtime: 52 mins

Pass:4 errors: 1000

Obviously there is some problem with stick(B). Whether it is bad or something in my setup is bad I don't know. But, I did test them in the same slot and (A) had no errors. Will check back for my next step.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I recieved my new modules. However, I am having the exact same crashing problems as described above. Perhaps something in my BIOS is set to something that is not working with my RAM. Are there any general guides to BIOS settings for TWINX1024-3200XLPRO? I don't want to see stop error 0x0000008e anymore! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much!

• Corsair Employee
Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with www.memtest.org! And I would leave the command Rate set to 2t.

Archived