Corsair Community

Dimension 3000 and ValueSelect Memory

rotocub

From what I've read here, it appears that the VS1GB400C3 ValueSelect memory I ordered will not work in a Dimension 3000 with a P4 2.8 w/ 533 FSB and I would actually need a 333MHz RAM module.

That said, here is the exact orginal configuration of my system (for processor and memory) taken from Dell's webpage.

-PROCESSOR, 80546, 2.8, 1M, PENTIUM 4 PRESCOTT DT, 533, E0

-DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 256, 400M, 32X64, 8K, 184

On the memory module that came in the system it actually reads PC3200, 400 as well. This doesn't make sense based on what I'm reading here in the forums.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Am I missing something here?

You see, the BIOS on OEM systems such as your Dell requires that the SPD be programmed for DDR333 operation, with CAS timings to go along with the selected memory speed. Unfortunately, the SPD on Value Select DDR400 modules is programmed only for DDR400 operation; the BIOS on your system will always use the SPD-detected vaules since your system's chipset supports an 800FSB speed for the processor's FSB - but the 67MHz differential between your processor's actual FSB speed and DDR400 memory's actual clockspeed is way beyond Intel's supported specs. What's worse, your Dell's OEM BIOS has absolutely no provision at all whatsoever to manually change the memory's clockspeed, so it will always use the SPD-detected value of DDR400 no matter what. Thus, the mismatch between your 533FSB CPU and a DDR400 module that's programmed only for DDR400 operation will make your system not even POST at all.

Dell's OEM DDR400 modules do work with your 533FSB CPU - if only because the Dell OEM memory module has its SPD programmed for both DDR400 and DDR333 operation.

I ran into exactly the same problem today with the same memory module and the same Dell computer. Can anybody suggest a viable alternative by Corsair? I want a 1 GB memory for the Dell Dimension 3000 computer, and will look into returning the module I just bought and getting one that works. Thanks!

I ran into exactly the same problem today with the same memory module and the same Dell computer. Can anybody suggest a viable alternative by Corsair? I want a 1 GB memory for the Dell Dimension 3000 computer, and will look into returning the module I just bought and getting one that works. Thanks!

Depending on the FSB of your CPU:

http://compatible.corsairmemory.com/mini/search_redir.aspx?type=sys&mfgid=31&modelid=48832

Archived