Corsair Community

Problem with 2GB SD card

hlring

My daughter has a 2GB 133x SD card which is a couple months old that she uses in her Canon SD550. I have the same setup, bought at the same time. Recently her card stopped working, giving her a memory access error. I tried it in my camera, same problem. My card works fine in her camera. I was going to try reformatting the card, but she has pictures on there from a family baptism that she would like to save if possible. When I went into the format mode, it shows 765MB in use, so I held off trying a reformat in case we could save the pictures.

When I plug it into my WindowsXP PC, autoplay pops up and seems to try forever until I pick the cancel button. I can then access the device with Windows Explorer. When I open the device, it has two folders DCIM and MISC. MISC appears to be empty, when I try to open DCIM eventually I get a timeout error. Any sugestions on how I can save the files, or how to proceed?

Thanks,

Howard

• Corsair Employees

You can try and run chkdsk on the drive but the data is more than likely lost Sorry!

Lets get it replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

I tried checkdisk but it just hung. I put the chip back in the camera and tried formatting it. That didn't work either. I then tried a low level format. I can now use the chip, though obviously all the previous photos are gone. Everything appears normal, is the chip OK, or is it likely to lock up again?

Thanks,

Howard

Archived