Corsair Community

Twinx cmx512-3200xc2pt

Aintmyprob

ok, I bought one pair in March 2005, and just aquired a second pair... the first pair say they are v5.1, the second v5.2... Gigabyte GA-8Ipe1000, P4 530 hyperthread active... When I installed the second pair in dual channel mode (slot 1,3;2,4) the system was unstable so I came here to see what to do, I downloaded and ran Memtest86+ v1.60, and was getting general protection faults with all four sticks installed... I tested them individually in slot one, one pass no errors. I then tested each pair in slot 1,3 as dual channel, no problem, I then tested each pair in slots 2,4 where the ones I bought in March failed 129 errors in test #5... The new pair tested fine. Memory or motherboard? I have been running them for months in 1,3... MB only has normal +0.1,+0.2volt options, have it set at +0.2, cas latency 2-3-3-6... Memtest86+ seems to think my FBS was 201 not 200...

Memtest86+ didn't gpf this time, didn't let it run through though... CivIV crashed / rebooted, that app was stable before I added the second gig... It's a bit better as system respose is faster than it was, but not as fast as it is with just one gig, which if memtest is right was the bad pair... :[pouts:

Where should this MIB fuction be? I have auto or on IIRC.

FYI... Easy tune5 seems to think voltage is at 2.9 when bios HW was saying 2.78

ran Memtest again, with all four sticks in, +0.2v, 3-3-3-8 had 556 errors test #5, I stopped it at 26 errors test #6, all seem to be in the fourth module, which is one of the first pair...

I thought of / found another oddity. In Everest home / motherboard / memory spd, when the one that is now in the fourth slot was in the first, it couldn't read the memory... it now can "see" all four...

Please make sure they are all the same part# and revision, and then test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org if you have not done so to make sure one is not failing.

I thought I said they weren't the same revision at the beginning of the thread. I didn't realilze that would cause a problem, or I wouldn't of made the new purchase... I did know enough to buy the same part #... just not that there might be different revisions... I will test that last stick alone at the new timing just for kicks and giggles...

Thanks for your help so far...

2 pairs both were sold as twinx packs...

all tests at +0.2v

Ok, to recap: tested individual sticks in first slot all four no errors (one pass) at 2-3-3-6...

CMX512-3200c2pt

xms3202v5.1

(bought in March from Tigerdirect)

as a pair 11 errors test #5 in second (slot2,4) dual channel option at 3-3-3-8.

as a pair 14 errors test #5 in first (slot1,3) dual channel option at 3-3-3-8

CMX512-3200c2pt

xms3202v5.2

(new from newegg)

as a pair no errors (one pass) either set of slots at 2-3-3-6.

All 4, doesn't seem to matter which pair is where...

at 2-3-3-6 general protection fault in first, or second tests, or another error that crashed the test.

at 3-3-3-8 I stopped the test after 500+ errors test 5, and 29 in test 6...

I'm willing to test more if needed.

edit: I ran memtest86+ again individually this morning on the v5.1 pair, and I noticed something odd... the one stick took 22min, 36 seconds, and the second took 12min 17 seconds. neither had errors, but almost twice as long to do the same tests? I then tested them again in dual channel each slot option1,3 and 2,4, and have lots of errors test five, count seems to be rising every time I test... bios settings for this test:3-3-3-8, and +0.2volts...

• Corsair Employee
I think you were just one TSXpress and if so just reply and we can try replacing all of your modules, but I would suspect this is a MB issue, as there are several MB's that just cannot run at DDR400 with 4 modules installed. So you might check with Giga-Byte to make sure this MB will run at DDR400 with 4 modules installed or if they might have newer bios. That is assuming that the modules pass http://www.memtest.org one set at a time.

Archived