Corsair Community

XMS3200PT labelled as sold as XMS3200C2?

carpet10

I just purchased what was advertised as 2GB TWINX XMS3200 C2 memkit (2x1GB). this should have timings of 2-3-3-6-1T and come with a black heatsink.

The memory I receivied has platinum (not black) heatsink, each DIMM is labelled CMX1024-3200PT and has timings labelled of 3-3-3-8

The "vendor" has their own warrantly label on the memory indicating it is TWINX XMS3200 C2

I suspect I am been misled perhaps unintentionally and have written a complaint to the vendor with an intent to get it replaced with the correct RAM. Can someone indicate to me whether the product I recieved, despite not matching my expectations, is actually the RAM I ordered?

I haven't popped it into my PC yet either but physically it certainly doesn't match my expectations.

Can anyone enlighten me or verify my concerns?

Cheers,

carpet10

If the Corsair label says 3200PT and not 3200C2, one can only assume they're 3200s. Could slap them in a PC and check the SPD to see if it says 3200C2 (IGNORE THE SPD TIMINGS), but they should replace them with ones that say 3200C2 on the Corsair label.

• 4 months later...

I think I have a similar problem as Carpet 10's.

I'm sure, even though I bought the RAM 18 months ago & have been quite happily using it on SPD, I always wondered why it came up with 3-3-3-8 timings when I'm damn sure that I bought CAS 2 RAM.

It was £330 + VAT (£380 total + P+P!!) & I'm sure that at the time I had decided to run everything on SPD as I was using my (then) workstation for work.

However, as I've just reecntly bought an Opty 144, along with DFI S939 AGP NF3 Ultra board (& i had read that whilst it was usually a fairly long-winded process to get larger sticks running at quick timings on these boards, it was possible), I started reading up about what timings were required generally to get 1024MB 3200 C2 sticks running quite happily on looser timings at reasonably high speed (say 500 MHz, FSB 250).

However, now when I go to start looking at the timings, I realise that the sticks are in fact the CAS 3 variety, not the C2PT.

I even got my receipt out yesterday that I kept & sure enough, the sticks on the receipt indicate CAS 3 not CAS 2.

However, I'm fairly sure that I wouldn't have spent nearly £400 on 2GB of memory that was effectively standard DDR RAM, albeit with nice heat spreaders & in 1GB sticks.

Any idea what I can do?

Russ

• Corsair Employee
What is your module part#? If you have a XMS module that ends with a "C2" designation the SPD will be set to JEDEC defined values for the IC used to make that specific part and the tested settings would need to be manually set!

Archived