Corsair Community

Instable system - Memtest86+ fails in the same spot for one module,passes for other 3

dmincu

I purchased 2 pairs of Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2 memory and I noticed corrupt files durring large downloads or instable games. Everyting seemed to happen when I was reaching the end of my 2 GB of memory.

My system is Athlon 64 3800+ X2 + A8N-SLI Premium motherboard + 2x WD 250 KN SATAII hard drives + ATI 1800XL Video card. After putting the exact required values of 400Mhz 2-3-3-6 in BIOS the problem didn't change. Finally I got to read about memory testing I a create a boot CD-rom with MEMTEST86+ version 1.65 and I run it.

I discovered imediately that a memory location was failing. I've isolated the module and I test it separately or/and togheter with the rest of the modules for several times. Every single time, the error occured in the same spot and on the same very bit. All other 3 memory modules were tested just fine.

I probably have to return 2 modules - the whole pair - how do I proceed? Do I have to do something else to prove myself that I am literate enoght in computers?I think I isolate the problem in the memory hardware and not because of some wrong configuration. The first failing test is test #2, i didn't even wait for the test to complete because the number of errors is going over 160.. and I stopped.

Here is the memory label in case it matters

Corsair LOT#0538112-0

TWINX1024-3200C2

Regards,

Dan Mincu

• Corsair Employees
Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one set at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, for your configuration your PSU might be a bit weak.

Archived