Corsair Community

MSI K8T Master-2 FAR lockup with TWINX 2GB kit

wulfgang

I have a set of TWINX2048RE-3200 locking up in either single or dual-channel mode (at OS loading in dual-channel and after 10 minutes in single-channel) on my brand new MSI K8T Master-2 FAR with dual Opteron 246's. I originally tried 4x512 Transcend PC3200 with this board and RMA'd the memory to Newegg after the machine would not POST. I bought the TWINX instead, supposing that the best memory available would probably work better. But I was wrong. Although it POSTed, it would still lock up, especially in dual-channel. So I RMA'd the motherboard. Now I've got the new one doing the same thing and have since found out that this is a common problem with the dual 246s and PC3200 with various mb's, and that only a few types of PC3200 work at all.

So I am almost certain that the TWINX is not defective, per se, except that it will not work with the 246's. OCZ has apparently determined that this is a problem with CAS timings being set to tight on high-end memory. MSI has validated only one type of memory from Samsung for this board, M312L6420EG0-CCC 512MB Registered PC3200 LP (also the 256MB version), which has backed-off timings.

Unfortunately, the latest BIOS, v1.3B, has only one setting for CAS (3 or auto). Is there anything else I can do to get these DIMMs working? I would like to play with the voltage a bit (assuming the BIOS will let me go higher than 2.6), but I do not want to destroy these DIMMs by continuing to boot this machine in its current state. If it keeps locking up, will I kill off the DIMMs?

Also, is there any Corsair memory that using the same chips as the validated Samsung PC3200 that I could maybe exchange this TWINX with? I could possibly follow this up with Newegg, but I am past the 30 day refund period (waited almost a month for an RMA from MSI :mad: ).

• Corsair Employee

Based on what you have posted I would suggest trying another PSU preferably about 550 Watts with the config you gave if not bigger.

But I have no problem replacing your modules, but I really doubt that is the issue as it was the same type of issue with other memory.

You don't think 480 W is enough? I have checked the voltages while running and all rail voltages were above spec. I will check on it, though. I am a bit unfamiliar with the voltages different devices use. Can I possibly test this by disconnecting one hard disk and both optical drives?

With regard to the Transcend, it was also not on the "validated" list. MSI's forum is filled with posts where people had trouble with unapproved memory. For some reason, they chose to replace my board rather than tell me about this incompatibility in the first place.

Got the new PSU in, and it is working in dual-channel mode. I ran MemTest86+ for 14 hours with zero errors (~ 17 tests, iirc). The voltage is back at default 2.6 V, and the chip-kill ECC is disabled.

The DIMMs are now just warm to the touch instead of scorching hot with the old PSU. I am curious why they would run cooler when at a higher voltage.

Anyway, thanks for the help. Hope this keeps working. If it is still running dual-channel at the New Year, I will call it a success.

Already did 2.65 V (the highest BIOS setting) and it did not help. Oh, and now the USB is gone too. This on a brand-new RMA board from MSI.

These boards have other BIG problems too. If you use 4 GB of memory, only 2 GB shows up. If you flash the v1.4 BIOS, the board dies. If you connect your PSU to the 12V AGP Pro plug, the board fries. NONE of this is noted on the MSI website for this board. Instead, this information must be found on their unsupported forums (no MSI techs on the forums).

So I have returned this board to Newegg and will gladly accept any credit they will give me just to take this thing off my hands. It will be replaced with a TYAN S2875ANRF, which has much, much fewer reported problems. I expect the TWINX to work fine with the TYAN board. If it does not, I will post back in this thread. Since Corsair has other DDR400 memory validated on the TYAN board, I expect no problems.

Thanks for the help.

• Corsair Employee
Tyan does not give any voltage changing options in their BIOS. Our XMS modules require 2.75v to run at the advertised timings and settings. The XMS modules are not the best choice for the board you listed but please do post back if you have any problems.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I have the Tyan board now, and it still does not work. When XP begins to load, it reboots. I tried setting the clock limit to 200 MHz, setting the CAS timings all to 3 with RAS at 8, and disabling ECC altogether, but it made no difference.

Based on this, what do you suggest? Can I return this TWINX2048 and get it swapped out for some server memory (or whatever you suggest) at no cost?

• Corsair Employee
You should talk to your reseller and see if they will let you exchange the modules fow whats suggested on our memory configurator. I am sorry as we do not sell direct we do not have an easy to do that type of transaction, however if the reseller will not help you then you can call our Customer Service at 888-222-4346 and see if there is anything they can do.

Ok, so I used the Corsair guide and bought 2 CM72SD512RLP-3200/S DIMMs. It still reboots when loading XP, although now I get the XP screen. What settings should I be using on the mb? I tried turning ECC off with no effect. Should I set the CAS manually?

Hi, I'm back again. Newegg is not happy about exchanging the memory for a cheaper set of CM72SD512RLP-3200/S. But I saw on another forum that ******** allowed someone to return their (low latency) memory and re-programmed the timings instead of exchanging it for a new set. Could Corsair do that with this XMS?

Never seen them do it yet, although their customer service dept may (MAY, not guaranteed) be able to override their normal policy and have them replaced with a different part #. Only way to find out is to call them (1-888-222-4346). as they don't read the forums.

Archived