Corsair Community

Corsair 2x 512mb 400c3 value select problems

hartm88

I had two of these sticks running in my system for over a year when one day i was playing a game and my computer froze (1 second of sound repeats over and over again and screen freezes in place) so i had to turn it off with the power button. On reboot my computer froze again at the memory line in the BIOS and had all kinds of crazy symbols in different colors on the screen. On the 2nd reboot my entire screen was flashing green and blue. I ordered a replacement stick online to get my computer back up and running and it is working fine. I tried clearing the cmos, putting in the working stick and putting the settings really low, testing each stick 1 at a time, but the same thing happens whenever one is in. I'm sure theyre fried, but since it has been over a year Newegg will not handle the RMA process even though the product has a lifetime warranty.

My system---

Chaintek vnf3-250 mobo

athlon 3000+ 64

ati 9800 pro

antec 400watt psu

• Corsair Employees
Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings to "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Thanks for the quick reply!

The memory defaults to the by speed timings when i clear the cmos, and 2.7v. My computer will not boot past the BIOS screen at startup with either of these sticks in, so theres no chance i can run memtest.

I just tried them in my father's PC (athlon 2500 and asus a7n8x motherboard) and the same thing happened, graphical errors and freezing on the bios menu when it checks the ram. This happens when either or both sticks are in, even with other sticks of ram in the computer at the same time.

• Corsair Employees

In your fathers system you would need to manually set the memory frequency at DDR333 because of the CPU he has. Nut I have no problem replacing the modules for you.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Archived