Corsair Community

What is going on!!!!!!!!! Sorry.

tucktown2

I have Twinx 3200LL 2x512 RAM set. I've had it for about 2 years. Recently, I been experiencing error after error. It only happens when I play games. I have the same setup as when i bought the RAM. It worked fine for 2 years. Now every game I play it cuts-off. I cant get the computer to run any memory test thru either floppy or ISO. I have tried everything for weeks. Two questions: what is wrong and why cant I run any of the memtests. I know about boot settings , nothing works. Is the memory bad. There are some blue screen errors but rarely. It doesn't seem stable. I also noticed that the memory is quite hot to the touch, is this bad or could it be the problem. I dont overclock and the system is the same as before. Help, please is the memory shot!!!!:mad:

Can you remove one of the sticks of memory, and run Memtest86 with one stick at a time. Then replace the one stick on the board with the other stick, and then run Memtest86 again. With either stick, try to run through at least one pass - preferably two or three passes. Most likely one of your sticks of memory is bad. (If both sticks tested separately turn out errors, then something else is going on with your system - drivers/OS corruption, spyware, viruses, etc. If the latter's the case, then try to retest the two sticks on another machine.) And you will have to manually bump up the memory voltage in your motherboad's BIOS to 2.75V in order to run the tests; the XMS 3200LL and 3200XL memory requires at least 2.75V in order to run stable.

All dual-channel DDR SDRAM-based motherboards can run in single-channel mode, so using a single stick will work for diagnostic purposes.

By the way, it would help if you give us the complete specs (CPU, motherboard, video card, drives, etc.) of your rig.

I have a P4 3.06 HT, P4c800 Deluxe, 1 120 WD Drive and a Radeon 9800 Pro. Listen, i appreciate the help but i think you misunderstood me. I can not get the test to run. Neither thru floppy drive or ISO. I ve tried everything . It just wont run. Any other suggestions.

So you did try testing with only one stick, and the test wouldn't run, correct? How does it not work? Does it freeze, or just not boot off of media?

Try the memory in another system and/or other memory in your system.

I've also placed your system specs in your profile.

It's possible the download of Memtest86 is corrupt. Upgrading Memtest over the years I can recall three corrupted downloads that wouldn't run or failed quickly. If I were you I'd try a fresh copy. The following link is to Ram Guy's instructions for downloading and running Memtest86:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38146

ps: did you remember to do a full format on the floppy (create Msdos startup disk) and not a Quick format?

I ran the test using ISO of Memtest86+. I ran it through using the two sticks of 512mb Twinx3200ll (1024). On test #5 it showed that there were 2048 errors. I then ran it again (2nd pass) and a total of 5196 errors showed up on test #5. The total of 5196 errors included the error on the first pass. What exactly is wrong with memory. My bios settings(Asus P4C800 Deluxe) are as follows:

DRAM Frequency: 400mhz

DDR Reference Voltage: 2.75

DRAM CAS# Latency: 2

DRAM RAS# Recharge: 3

DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 2

DRAM Recharge Delay: 6

DRAM Burst Length: 4

DRAM Idle Timer: AUTO

DRAM Refresh Rate AUTO

Why so many errors, what does this mean. Please help. THanks

The memory is about 2 1/2 to 3 years old.

WAIT!!! I think i see the problem I changed the:

DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay to 3

and the

DRAM RAS# Precharge to 2

now there are no errors, was that the problem?

secondly, what do i set the Idle Timer to? And the Refresh Rate?

Sounds like the problem is solved. Timing is critical as dram is essentially a clock driven capacitor charge storage switching device. I'd leave the other values on "Auto" if you're not getting any errors as those values are best determined by the bios itself in conjunction with the memory controller, the particular chipset on your board, and the ram settings.

Archived