Corsair Community

Blown motherboard?

drthomas

First, reason for posting... does the DFI LANParty board have a fixed metal backing plate for mounting the CPU cooler??.. the a8n SLI has a metal plate, but it is not cemented.

My (tragic) story

Installed my new Corsair Cool kit, and afterwards my a8n sli Premium MB would not boot:-(

MB light shows, the fans start but nothing on monitor, no peeps or any other noises, no indication that it is POSTing

Took the MB out of the case, and tried it with CPU, memory and graphics card, but still the same.. tried all combinations of parts, but just dead

I expected at least some peep (or voice message) if I left the CPU or memory out, but as I didn't get it, I assume that it don't work

Can only assume that maybe when I mounted the cpu block maybe I didn't align the metal plate etc, and cracked the MB.

So, will need to get another one.. may get another a8n sli, or else the DFO.. depends what I hear from you guys.

Thanks

Dave

Have looked all around, and can see no cracks... was using wristband when I installed, so that shouldn't be the problem

Googling (using "a8n sli" +POST) show quite a lot of cases where this MB just refuses to POST, and the boards were returned to ASUS, so maybe it is a design or quaility problem, and had nothing to do with my installation??

One question that I need answering, is how tight should the screws go.

The install guide pdf is not very clear here, and just says "gradually tighten the screws, alternating from side to side, to clamp the block down"

I tightened the screws down until the the spacer was firm against the MB retention frame (and just a small bit more), so the screw pressed the spacer down to the hold-down bracket.

If I have done that right, it puzzles me why there is a spring at all..... why couldn't it just be a normal screw tightening the hold-down bracket to the retention frame?

Regards

Dave

OK, I got a new MB (still stayed with a8n sli premium even after last debacle)

Fitted Corsair Cool WB to CPU, but still using heatpipe for northbridge

Currently running at 2750, with CPU temps of 42°C and MB temp of 36°C (ambiant is about 20° C)

Needed a fan to cool down the heatpipe, so stil not as quiet as I would like, but that wil be step 2

Now I just have to battle with Microsoft.... says I have activated my XP too often:-)

Thanks to all for the advice

Regards

Dave

Archived