Corsair Community

Corsair Pc Gaming Memory

roadzy

Ram Guy,

I currently am running AMD 64 3500+, Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, and Corsair TWINX1024-3200XLPROs. My computer has been feeling sluggish which made me decide to look in to upgrading parts of it. Is there better ram you would suggest to have in my box? Any help would be great. Thanks!

Sluggish in what way ? laoding games, do you play eg FEAR, Battlefield2 ?

I'm gonna order the 3500LL Pro modules ( 2 x 1024Mb) the 44000 pro ones will be out of my budget. I also have 2 x512 XL one sin the rig, they run fine load times are pretty good but I always want more .... ( the neverending story ... )

oh yea i now remember what all started this upgrade thing was that fear was sluggish loading... it was the demo but still...and i also had to bump down the graphics and i don't know why i should have to because i have bfg 6800gt (Factory Oc'd). So I started guessing else where and my ram was the oldest part in my pc.

Well if you look at this

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2575

They do a complete comparison of current Gfx cards with your FEAR game. Indeed increased memory will help loading times but how is the vidcard setup and how is the game configurated ? (meaning detail settings,... ) The more detail you require the more data has to pumped by your harddrives, on through the memory,...

More ram will surely help but if the HD is sluggish,... why didn't we all buy XBox. Would have saved us a lot of money but then Ramguy and Wired wouldn't be able to drive their Ferraris. So ....

Um... I have two xboxes, game cube, nes, super nes, sega, sega saturn, gameboy, gameboy advance, and my xbox 360 will be here Nov 22 :D: So i'm def not short on games. I just love computers and i wanted to just see about upgrading a piece of my computer with out having to redo the whole thing. I would most likely swap out everything in about 2-2 1/2 years from now. From what I've seen is that it looks like I have the fastest ram available for my board. The next step up would be to buy a new motherboard and go with ddr2 but i really didn't want to get in to that. Would it be possible to swing a board that has ddr2 and for now run my ddr 1 in it until i got more money?

I think that's a no go I heard from mobo's that have AGP and PCI-express slots but none that I know of that have both DDR and DDR2 support. I just think you need to tinker a bit with the settings and lower detail to get full speed. You could add 2 more XL dimms to get the full 2 gig's bu tmaybe you need ot run them at 2T or even DDR333 to get it stable. I would just hang on and wait till next year, AMD is gonna change socket so maybe DDR2 then for ya.

How long has it been since you did a clean install of Windows? A clean install is always a good idea in cases like this before spending money. Also, there are some excellent tweaking guides available that would help you streamline Windows for gaming. Also, you could use your MSCONFIG function to trim some items off the startup menu to free up system resources, put your paging file on a physically seperate disk from the OS, etc. There are lots of ways you could improve what you have.

Mike.

Oh yea I know about msconfig. I have it all streamed lined and whipped up in to shape. I have it tweaked and stuff, but I think it falls back again on my video card thanks to the link leeghoofd posted. They benchmarked fear and it turned out that fear even pushed the knew 7800gtx's to their limit. Its because of this one stupid feature and can be turned off to fix the problems. I'm more interested now in to what the ram guy had said, boards that support ddr 1 and ddr2... Is that something that would actually be posted on the say ASUS's site? I didn't see it listed as a feature with my board on newegg's. Just to make it clear... I do understand the difference between DDR1 and DDR2, it was just that leeghoofd had mentioned about ddr2 modules for my board. Ram Guy, for my board is DDR1 only supported?

Only ddr1 is supported. Amd decided not to support ddr2 ram and wait for ddr3 or 4 before reworking the onboard memory controller as they didn't see enough measurable gain wiith ddr2 memory. Amd with ddr1 still smokes top of the line Intels with ddr2 memory. Asus as far as I know doesn't have a board that supports both ddr1 and ddr2 memory.

The 3200XLs have the tighest timings for PC3200 (DDR400 aka 200 Mhz), yes. Fastest memory is the 4400C25s, although they have looser timings, and to take full benefit you'd have to overclock the hell out of your PC, and most Athlon64's can't OC that high.

Here's a good question for you...

If you look at this image.... http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/7234/41ys.jpg Notice the frequency is 200 mhz? i thought it was ddr3200 was 400? (Ignore the clocking times, i just recently changed them to 2-2-2-5 and haven't taken another screenshot)

Another weird thing is this... Notice the front side bus speeds in these two benchmarks...

3dmark03

3dmark05

The specs from newegg.com on my motherboard is this...

# AGP Slots: None

CPU Type: Athlon 64 FX/Athlon 64

DDR Standard: DDR 400 (PC 3200)

Dual Channel Supported: Yes

ECC Supported: Yes

FSB: 1000MHz Hyper Transport (2000 MT/s) ****NOTICE THIS****

Maximum Memory Supported: 4GB

Number of DDR Slots: 4x 184pin DDR

PCI Express x1: 2

PCI Express x16: 2 x PCI Express X 16 (*SLI mode : x8 , x8 *Default Single VGA mode : x16, x1)

# Model #: A8N-SLI Deluxe

# Item #: N82E16813131517

DDR stands for Dual Data Rate meaning that the memory can interact with the CPU 2 times per clock cycle. So, a FSB of 200mhz has the RAM running at 200mhz (when running in sychronous mode). But, since there are 2 operations per cycle, it's a Dual Data Rate of 400 (200 x 2).

Mike.

ok interesting I think i'm gonna have to read more in to that. I put the ram at 2-2-2-5 and it seems to make the computer more sluggish in certain areas rather then faster... how do I know which ones i should drop back and which ones to leave alone?

Archived