Corsair Community

No POST with one module

Tech support-

I have a MSI KT8 Neo2 F with an Athlon 64, and 2 sticks VS256MB400C3. After an episode with no power, and a replaced mobo, the system will not boot with both memory modules in place (slots 1/3, dual-ch mem config). The system will POST, but windows will not boot (error code 4).

Debugging to isolate to a memory error, using one module, the system boots OK with one stick in slot 1, but will not POST with the other stick in slot 1(or slot 2 or 3).

This setup is plain-vanilla, memory timing from default BIOS settings. The CPU is a Winchester 3000+ (AMD ADA3000DIK4BI).

I presume the problematic stick failed along with the mobo - but can't even boot the system when it is present.

Mal

Your reply indicates I should proceed to send the memory back. Since I would like to continue to use the computer, I propose to send back only the stick than won't Boot.

The question concerns dual-channel memory. I assume that any memory of the same part number will be useable in dual-channel configuration. I hear that the memory must be matched. How closely? Why isn't any memory that satisfies the same timings OK?

Thanks for your help.

Mal

Archived