Corsair Community

Bad RAM and having trouble with Memtest

dirtmike

Hi,

Going to kill a few birds here with one stone.

I have 2 sticks of Corsair CMX512-3200C2 which seem to be bad. I've run RAM test programs on them, which have reported problems and I wanted to confirm them with Memtest86. I made the boot CD, changed my BIOS settings to boot from my CD-Rom, and it reads the CD rom then goes into Windows. I figured maybe I burned the CD wrong and tried again and still had the same problem. Now I know how to burn a cd, change bios settings etc etc since my profession involves this sort of thing. So my dilemma is I cannot get this darn thing to run when I boot from my CD drive. I do not have a disk drive or I'd try that route. I've individually tested both RAM modules and have found problems with those programs.

Now the problem I am running into is that programs are randonly closing and/or my computer freezes. I installed a fresh copy of Windows XP Pro, and I am still having these problems. Now I know different peices of hardware other than my RAM could cause this, but coupled with my tests, I am leaning toward the ram modules.

Here are my specs:

-ASUS P4P800SE Socket 478 Intel 865PE ATX Intel Motherboard

-Intel Pentium 4 3.0C Northwood 800MHz FSB Socket 478 Processor

- (2x)CORSAIR XMS 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model CMX512-3200C2

-Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST3120026A 120GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive

Any help would be appreciated. I cannot do much in terms of using any applications that use large amounts of memory since either the progam closes or the system hangs all together so a quick response would be apprecaited!

Also, when I boot up, I'm pretty sure I am seeing on the opening BIOS screen that it says my RAM is running at 266mhz? I don't see how that is correct when I Believe they should be running at 400mhz. Let me know what BIOS settings you'll need me to post to ensure I am running these correctly.

Thanks!

Mike

P.S. - Please let me know if you need more information.

• Corsair Employees

Please see What is memtest86+, what do I use it for? It will explain how to make a botable CD, but you have to burn the image from a Burn image command not just copy the file to the CD-R.

Please make sure that you have the latest bios for your MB and then load setup defaults and try these settings after you load setup defaults.

AI Over Clock Tuner: Manual

CPU Freq: 200 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%/DDR400

Dim Voltage to 2.75 Volts (but if you over clock 2.85 Volts)

Resulting Frequency: 200MHz/400DDR

Legacy USB: Disabled

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

Then test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org.

Archived