Corsair Community

Help me Obi-Wan Ram Guy, your my only hope!

Asus_Fan

I've owned an Asus P4S8X board since it was first introduced (2002?) and have always used a stick of CMX512-3200C2 (XMS3200v1.1). Ive been able to run that single stick of memory at 200mhz with no problems.

Recently, I decided to add another stick of CMX512-3200C2 for a total of 1gig. When I installed the new stick along with the old one, the system refused to post and I received a long beep error tone. I remembered that the SIS chipset doesnt officially support 200mhz so changed the BIOS memory timing to 100mhz (the slowest setting-just to be safe) and SPD detect (I should also add that I tried changing the cas to 2.5 and 3 with with both one stick and two installed but it didn't help.). The system would boot but the new stick is not recognized by the bios or Windows XP (still shows 512mb) HOWEVER Sandra does show the new stick under the "Mainboard Information - Memory Module(s)" but it does not show up in the "Logical/Chipset Memory Banks" section. OK, next idea - I updated the bios from 1005 final to 1005 beta 13 and tried everything again. This time I didn't receive the long beep error tone but it still wouldn't post. Here's the kicker though, I then attempted to boot with ONLY the new stick installed, powered up and NOTHING; No post, no boot.

I'm racking my brain trying to figure out why this stick isn't working; It's the SAME brand and model that I've used successfully for years. The only difference I know of is that a sticker on the new chip reads "XMS3002v5.1", which is different than my old stick. Does this mean something I should know about? Is this memory bad or am I missing something somewhere :confused: . Ive tried everything I can think of and am about to return the memory if I can't get it working. Any help, advise, of suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Corsair Employees
Well it’s never a good idea to mix memory with any MB. And the modules are rated at the same timings but they would not be guaranteed to work together in the same system, it would be best to see if the reseller will let you send this module back and find another use for the old module and just order a CMC1024-3200C2 module if you want 1.0 Gig of memory.

• Corsair Employees

Did you try resetting the bios with just the new modules installed? If so and it still will not post we can try replacing the modules if you like.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Archived