Corsair Community

CMX512-3200c2 WOW!

suicide

okay i already posted on my dead ram but i was looking trough the forum and all that i find is those^^^^ modules are going bad... is there any reason for this are these not good to buy? what is it? bad batch? im just as concerned as the makers of the ram and id like to hear an explination on why the CMX512-3200C2's seem to be the only memory dying... I dont wanna rma again

Think of it as a game of numbers.

The 3200C2's are a VERY high volume part and so lots of people have bought them. Even if the failure rate is exactly the same across all models, this would mean that a larger number of modules would be failing, even if the percentage was identical.

Another view is that since such a large number of users have these modules, then the numbers of setups which do not support aggressive memory or are incorrectly setup are also higher. Many of these working modules are RMA'd even though the issue lies elsewhere.

Also, these are support forums. You're not going to see people come in and say, "Oh, btw, the modules are still running." All you get are the people with an issue who want a fix or RMA, etc. So while it may seem that there is a big problem, the population sample on these forums is highly skewed.

AFAIK, there is no problem with the 3200C2 modules.

PLUR

CK

• Corsair Employees
Can you tell me our modules part# (How To Read the Memory Label) and the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set? In addition, what is the make and model of yout PSU?

Can you tell me our modules part# (How To Read the Memory Label) and the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set? In addition, what is the make and model of yout PSU?

-CMX512-3200C2

-Gigabyte k8NSC Mobo

-amd 3500+ a 2.2 GHz 200Mhz speed (stock speeds)

-I had the motherboard running auto on the memory the first memory module (with 3-3-3-8 timings)

-Then with the second module i tried to get the timings too 2.5-3-3-6 (recommended for the 3200c2)

-Everything is a default....never messed with Speed(cpu/ram) just timings

-Antec SmartPower 500W 2.0

sorry i didnt wanna bash your RAM it is really good stuff just wanted an explination an i got it :):

• Corsair Employees

Well it’s never a good idea to mix memory with any MB. And the modules are rated at the same timings but they would not be guaranteed to work together in the same system, unless you have a Twinx set. So if you are not mixing memory than I would suggest getting the latest bios and then load optimized defaults and set the memory voltage to +.2 Volts and set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

In addition, if you do get another module or modules and have this problem I would consider replacing your MB as that would suggest a problem with the memory controller and or chipset.

• Corsair Employees

Well this would suggest the modules are different revisions! (How To Read the Memory Label)

-I had the motherboard running auto on the memory the first memory module (with 3-3-3-8 timings)

-Then with the second module i tried to get the timings too 2.5-3-3-6 (recommended for the 3200c2)

And only Twinx sets would be rated with 2 modules.

Archived