Corsair Community

TWINX2048-3200C2PRO / Asus K8N-E Deluxe

MattLTH

I put the TWINX2048-3200C2PRO into my Asus A7N8X-Deluxe, and it ran perfectly at 400 MHz, both in NORMAL and AGGRESSIVE modes.

Then, I took my TWINX-3200LL (from my Asus A7N8X-Deluxe, in which it runs at 400 MHz properly) and installed it into the Asus K8N-E Deluxe, and it never ran at any higher than 333 MHz either.

Oh, I also updated the BIOS from 1007 to 1011. No improvement.

Any help you could give me would be wonderful.

Matt

• Corsair Employees

Please install the modules in slots 1-3 or 2-3 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

I completed all of your prescribed remedies, but to no avail. 1 stick separately will run at DDR400, but any combination of the 2 always resulted in DDR333. (The memtest.org software IS awesome!)

So I started downgrading the MoBo BIOS:

1010.003 = DDR333

1009.005 = DDR400

When I installed the latter, the DDR400 just snapped on! I didn't have to increase DDR voltage or set the latency timers for it to automatically set to DDR400. (Although, I did manually set the latency afterwards.)

I'm going to torture test the system for a few days. I'll post my results.

Thanks RamGuy. You're the King! (Everyone thought it was Elvis, but I know better.)

I have the same problem. If I update my BIOS to 1010 the RAM runs at 333, 1009 runs at 400 but with very slow latency settings (3-3-3-8). I can adjust the settings in BIOS but nothing changes. If I run memtest with both RAM modules installed I get loads of errors but testing them one at a time returns no errors. I have tested both RAM modules in another Mainbord(A8N-SLI) which returns no errors.

I have just found this post in another part of this forum:

I had the same problem with 2 sticks of CMX memory. If I used 1 it would show up at 400MHz, but 2 would be at 333MHz. I found with the help from another person that AMD has a Document # 26094 page 174. It basicly says 2 single rank sticks will run at 400 MHz or 1 sindle or double will run at 400MHz. But to double rank sticks will run at 333MHz. AMD Athlon 64 (745pin) has only 3 ranks which causes a problem with 2 double rank sticks (at least that what I got out of it). AMD did not make this easy to find I had to spend some time finding it. but the chart answered my questions. I hope this helps. I ended up getting 1GB of CMX1024 until I can find a good pair of single sided sticks.

So it looks like its a compatability problem :(:

No this is a limitation of that platform, not a compatibility issue. You can manually set the memory frequency manually and try the modules in slots 1-3 or 2-3 and see if the system is stable with http://www.memtest.org.

It's not the nForce3 series chipsets which have such limitations; it's the Socket 754 memory controller itself which limits the maximum speed with more than a single memory module to DDR333.

I think it is a compatability problem. I have had Corsair memory for lots of years and had very few problems with it in fact the only problem I had was due to a faulty Mainboard. Its always the mainboards, I think the firms like Asus etc. need to sort themselves out. Its says on my Mainboard carton "Support for DDR3200" it does not mention "only if its single sided" why bother having 3 memory slots if you can only use one of them.

Sorry to use this forum to gripe but I am sick of paying lots of money only to find that the product doesnt work as it should.

It's not the nForce3 series chipsets which have such limitations; it's the Socket 754 memory controller itself which limits the maximum speed with more than a single memory module to DDR333.

Is this only a problem with Socket 754 or does 939 have the same problems

• Corsair Employees
Well I know how you feal, but this is a limitation of the memory controller in the CPU and has nothing to do with the chipset. However, I have ran many of the MB's with 2 double sided modules at DDR400 with out problems, but you just have to ignore the manual and experiment. Please try what I suggested I am 80-90% sure it will work with the settings I gave you.

I ran the MemTest program with BIOS 1009.005 for 4.5 hours without ANY errors whatsoever. The memory is clocking at DDR400. The DIMMS are sitting right next to one another in slots 1 & 2.

I'm currently torture testing my Nuendo DAW software. I've run it to the limits of what this processor can provide, and so far, it hasn't frozen or done anything strange. If it continues working this well, it proves that it is possible for this MoBo to run at DDR400 with 2-1Gig sticks.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks again, RamGuy!

Matt

Asus released BIOS 1012.001 BETA on Oct. 19, 2005. I tried that BIOS, but it clocked the memory back to DDR333. I tried moving the DIMM slots around, but that didn't help.

So I downgraded to 1009.005, and the memory snapped right up to DDR400. My system runs great on this BIOS.

Perhaps ASUS will figure out a way for this MoBo to run at DDR400. I'll keep my eyes open for an update that allows DDR400.

Matt

I have solved my RAM problems by doing the following:

1. BIOS 1005 installed

2. The memory timings can now be adjusted in BIOS

3. Settings: Hyperlink 210 mhz

RAM volt 2.7v RAM installed at banks 1+2

Latency 2.5 3 3 6 at 400mhz

(The system ran stable with the timings at 2 3 3 6, until I overclocked it)

I let memtest86 run overnight which showed no errors

Archived