Corsair Community

4400c25 and DFI sli AMD Venice 3000+

tompl

Hi there

I need some help to set up and run my memory at their default settings (275Mhz , 2.5-4-4-8).

I managed to run this at 200mhz at 2-2-2-5 but whatever i did, i cant run it at more than 250-255mhz.

I tried even at 2T and cas 3 at 275Mhz without success ( the problem is that i got random resets and BSOD). The weird (maybe is not weird) think is that i run my bios memtest (DFI 702-2 beta) at 275mhz 1T 2.5-4-4-8 with success but nothing more than that is stable (not even boot in Windows).

As i said before i tried 2T even at 3-4-4-8 with no success (random BSOD and resets etc.)

I first had a Winchester 3000+ and i thought is my "bad" component since it wouldnt go more than 2250-2300 mhz . i replace it with a newer Venice with a better memory controller as everybody says, but again i cant run at 275 with success.

My system for example is completely stable at CPU at 2475mhz (275 fsb) with memory divider (9/10) which set memory at 247Mhz. If i go with higher FSB and memory goes more than 250mhz then system crashes..

Please i m asking for some help since change of my CPU wasnt solution for my problem.

thanks

thanos

• Corsair Employee

Please make sure you have the latest-3 BIOS installed for your MB (download the Beta version) and load optimized defaults settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

TwinX512 or Twinx1024-4400C25

Genie BIOS/DRAM Configuration

DRAM Frequency Set: 1:1 or 400MHz or 200 (if option are 133/166/200)

Command per Clock: Disabled

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 4T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T

And leave the rest at AUTO setting

Genie BIOS

FSB BUS Frequency: 275

LDT/FSB Frequency ratio: 3X

LDT Bus Transfer Width: 16 16

CPU/FSB Frequency ratio: Auto

PCI Ex: 100

K8 cool N’ quiet: Disable

CPU VID Start Up Value: 1.55

CPU VID Control: 1.55

CPU VID Special Control: Auto

Chipset Voltage Control: 1.8

DRAM Voltage Control: 2.9

PC Health Status: Make sure that all temperature is set at 25 degree C

All other settings are motherboards defaults

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

Moving to Compatibility Questions.

Hi RAM guy and thanks for your suggestions

I did download and flash the latest -3 bios (702-3).

I set everything like you post and i run memtest 3.2 and the bios memtest with the same results. Memory test passes OK.

I did change to 1T and run the test again without problems.

But when i try to load Windows then i got BSOD.

System is extremely unstable. I did not test each memory module individualy because it pass the memtest in Dual mode.

If you can suggest anything else i should be happy to try it.

Thanks for your reply

I just got a blue screen for milliseconds and i m not able to read what it says.

Thats happen all the time, Windows can not load completed.

Usually happens when Windows logo is on the screen and the little bar below that running from left to right.

Once, after at least 3-4 times of unsuccesfull loading it managed to complete boot, but was so unstable and i got BSOD even with only opening "My Computer" icon to see the HD.

A second time it just hungs at Welcome Windows screen for a while and then just reset.

Hope it helps

All above happens with 2T.

• Corsair Employee
I would try and delete the partition on the HDD and try a fresh install of the O.S. and please note where it failis in the install if it does with the settings I gave you. Also if you have any PCI cards installed I would remove them.

Fresh Windows Install , and above reccomended settings.

(2T , 2.5-4-4-8- all other Auto) Vcpu at 1.55V Vram at 2.9V.

Windows managed to boot, i only got one blue screen at shutdown procedure once, but then its impossible to run any benchmark-stability program.

For example SuperPI exits with an error all times within a couple of seconds.

Aslo OCCT do the same.

I tried to increase CPU voltage a little bit with no success.

Your comments.

• Corsair Employee

Please load optimized defaults settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

Genie BIOS/DRAM Configuration

DRAM Frequency Set: 2:1 or 400MHz or 200 (if option are 133/166/200)

Command per Clock: Enabled

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 2T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 5T

And leave the rest at AUTO setting

Genie BIOS

FSB BUS Frequency: 200

LDT/FSB Frequency ratio: 5X

LDT Bus Transfer Width: 16 16

CPU/FSB Frequency ratio: Auto

PCI Ex: 100

K8 cool N’ quiet: Disable

CPU VID Start Up Value: 1.55

CPU VID Control: 1.55

CPU VID Special Control: Auto

Chipset Voltage Control: 1.6

DRAM Voltage Control: 2.8

All other settings are motherboards defaults

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

I setup the bios with above settings (of course i did mention before that system is completly stable at 2-2-2-5 200Mhz 1T - see first post)

I did not understand the follow setting you said

DRAM Frequency Set: 2:1 or 400MHz or 200 (if option are 133/166/200)

I set it at 200Mhz 1:1

and as i said system is completely stable (SuperPI and OCCT) at those setting and even at stock CPU voltage (1.35-1.4V).

Memory for some reason runs at out of spec timings of 2-2-2-5 at 200Mhz but cant go at their default spec (memory defaults i mean) at 275Mhz 2.5-4-4-8.

The weird think is (it maybe not weird but looks like it is) that system is NOT stable at stock (200Mhz) with memory at 2.5-4-4-8. Seems like memory needs more fast timings at 200Mhz to be stable!!

thanks and i m waiting for your next suggestion.

• Corsair Employee

I think your missing the point.

I doubt this MB and CPU would be able to run at 275 MHz, it’s just beyond its ability. And the fact your system runs stable at these settings confirms that.

There are no guarantees with over clocking, all we can tell is what our modules are capable of, and we cannot guarantee that any MB and CPU will be able to run at these settings. Also the reason we publish the tested settings along with the MB we use to test each specific module in XMS Qualification and Testing! The idea here is to number one try to determine if you really have a failing module or not and number two if not then where is a stable starting point. These should be your goals if you want to over clock. Then once you know where you have a stable system experiment from there to find the breaking point to get the most out of your system, if you are not going to use the tested platform and CPU, then it's up to you to find where your specific hardware will run at peak performance.

Archived