Corsair Community

Mixing PC5400UL and PC5400 Pro

I had a MOBO die on me so, while it is in RMA I decided to play a bit. I have 2 x 512mb PC5400UL in an ABIT Fatal1ty AA8XE which is my gamer rig. While the other MOBO is in RMA I added 2 x 512mb of PC5400 Pro to the Fatal1ty. In the past I have run the Pro's as high as DDR732 stable. So, I set the timings manually to 4,4,4,12 and the voltage to 2.10v and DDR VTT to 1.05v. The system runs great and I have tested stable at 346mhz/DDR692 so far. It's stable running BF2 and BF2 Server simultaneously so it does what I want.

This is not the best way of getting 2gb of RAM as mixing revisions and types is usually a recipe for instability. However, this works flawlessly so far. And, I can't bench it using Sandra at my highest OC as Sandra still freaks out. BF2 runs very well with 1gb of fast RAM but I must admit it is better with 2gb. I just need to scrape up another pair of PC5400 UL and see if I can match this OC w/4 DIMMs and lower latencies.

Mike.

• 11 months later...

I have a set of Corsair TWIN2X1024-4300C3PRO(3-3-3-8) and tried running them with a set of other major brand (PC2-4200 3-2-2-8) in an Abit AL8 motherboard. I set both sets to 3-3-3-8, but they will not run together. Both sets run at 1.8v, so voltage differences are not the problem. I didn't try them all in single channel mode yet though.

Apparently this forum does not allow other ram manufacturer names to be shown :(

Yeah, believe it or not, people used to come here rather frequently asking for tech support on other brands of memory :confused: So, the major competitors were added to the word filter.

As far as your mixing, it is a VERY hit and miss proposition and I am surprised mine worked. There are dozens of potential reasons it may or may not work.

Rather than mixing 4 total DIMMs, why don't you try 1 of each just to see if there is any chance at all of mixing the ICs. And, make certain you have the latest bios loaded.

Mike.

Archived