Corsair Community

Bad stick of VS512MB400... ?

Recently my computer began acting strange during installs. CD's would autostart, begin installing, and stop with a CRC error before install would finish. Using a virtual cd-rom program such as Daemon Tools would end up with the same result. Computer also randomly restarts. Ran memtest86+ 1.55 and memtest86 3.2 Many errors resulted almost immediatly. The longer the test ran, the more problmes occurred. This was run with default cpu settings, and auto settings for the ram.

Good question... on the motherboard it lists speeds, not ratios. The cpu is normally run overclocked... it's normally 166 x 11, or ~1800 mhz. I run it at 200 x 11, or ~ 2200. Which makes it essentially a 3200+. This worked without error until recently when I started to have the CRC error problem. Dropping the cpu down to normal speed, and running the ram at 200... 166 bus, 200 ram... not sure what the ratio is. That did not work. running it as 333 ram on a 333 bus did not work, with or without extra voltage. All these things worked without error till recently. Power supply has been replaced. IDE cables have been replaced. Hard drive has been replaced. CD-ROM has been replaced.

• Corsair Employees

First thing:

This is a chipset limitation, with the CPU freq at 166 MHz or higher you have to run the memory in sync with the CPU or it may indeed be unstable.

If the FSB of your CPU is 400 For Intel and 100 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports only DDR 266.

If the FSB of your CPU is 533 For Intel and 133/166 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports DDR 266/333

If the FSB of your CPU is 800 MHz for Intel and 200 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports DDR 333/400

And I would suggest testing the modules in another system if you can, maybe a friend can help you to be sure it’s not some other problem. But I have no problem replacing the modules. However what you have posted may be some other problem.

If you want to try replacing your modules please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Archived