Corsair Community

Can't run 4 sticks on A8N MB

luv2kruz

I purchased my system from a system builder - Cyberpower systems. I decided to upgrade the RAM on my own given the price differential from the vendor to purchasing it later.

My system came 512M of Giel Value Ram. I have since purchased 2x512mb of Corsair Value Ram (dual channel kit part #VS1GBKIT400 Lot#0538109-0) and one extra 512mb DIM of the same value select (VS512MB400 Lot #0538072-0). I put in the dual channel kit in the blue slots (B1 & A1) and it boots up fine, showing 1024 of RAM installed.

As soon as i try to put in the other two DIMMS in any of the other two slots, it won't even boot up. I tried to use just the other single Corsair module, but it also will not work.

Can anyone suggest something that will enable me to use all four modules to get me to 2GB, including the other RAM, or do I have to go buy another dual channel kit? Why won't the other module work with the other two, or do they have to be installed in pairs.

Thanks.

You would'nt be able to mix the Corsair with the other brand.

As far as mixing the Corsair with the Corsair?

The VS KIT is two matched sticks, the other stick may use differebt IC's.

You could try to relax the timings to 3-3-3-8 but it may not work.

With an A64 system all the sticks would need to be the same.

This is hard to do with the VS sticks since the IC's are not tracked.

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry but with this platform all of the modules would need to be exactly matched. In addition,I have the A8N-SLI with a FX55 CPU that will not post with 4 modules installed. If I change to another CPU its no problem, but only at DDR333 at 2T Command Rate.

I unfortunately have already learned the hard way about compatibility issues. I bought some other RAM that I had to return due to incombatibility with the MB. That cost me about $25 to learn than lesson.

The 2x1GB option costs $216 + about another $25 to restock what I already bought, less credit = net cost about $115 more. Another module of Value Select will cost me about $45. So, if I can pair another module with the single, this is the cheapest option.

Next option would be to return the single for a restock charge of about $15 and buy another dual channel kit. Net cost about $60. Unless I'm missing something, your recommendation does not seem cost effective given the alternatives.

Will the addition of another module of Value Select work with the single I already have or do I have to go with another dual channel kit?

Thanks for your help!

I'll probably return the single and get another matched pair of VS.

One final question for education purposes. What is the difference between a dual channel kit and those modules that come as singles? What makes the motherboard reject singles vs. pairs and why would you not have the same problem when you install two sets of pairs? How does the motherboard distinguish that the sets are not matched?

Thanks.

• Corsair Employees

It’s not so much that the MB sees they are not a matched set as it is the SPD is set differently and as such the MB will kick up a SPD mismatch error and not post.

This is why there is an issue if the modules are not exactly matched the MB may not post and if for example the two modules are made with different IC’s they may not be stable in Dual Channel.

Archived