Corsair Community

Possible Bad Memory

andrew410

Hi, I've had my computer for about 2-3 years. It has been working fine until recently. I kept getting random BSOD and tried to fix it for hours. After hours of testing and retesting, I have concluded that it is one of my memory sticks. I have two 512MB of Corsair CMX512-3200C2. My comp specs are in my profile. I took one of the memory sticks out and tested each of the slots in the mobo with memtest86 and it kept giving me errors. My other stick did not give me any errors in any of the slots. I tested the sticks in the correct voltage and latancies. I also got help from someone on another forum called Techspot. The person examined my minidumps that I was getting and also concluded that I had ram problems. What can I do to replace my RAM?

Can you tell me CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

The CPU speed is 2.166Ghz and the FSB is 333Mhz. I havent overclocked any of my things over the years so it should be as it is. I'm not sure what more info you need for my CPU, but I think I know what you are talking about for the memory. The memory is operating at 200Mhz and at 2.5-3-3-6 latency. Please let me know if you need anymore info.

• Corsair Employee

With a 333 FSB CPU you will have to run the memory at 100% or at DDR333 or it will cause a bottelneck in the chipset and may generate errors that are not from the memory. Sorry but this is a chipset limitation.

Please try these settings with the modules in slots 2-3.

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

Memory Timings: Manual/User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

Hi, I tried it with the settings for the memory stick that had problems and it is still giving me random BSODs, especially when I'm doing something RAM intensive. I have tried the stick in each slot with the settings that you have given me and I tried it with both sticks in with the settings and I'm still getting random BSODs. I used the memtest86 and it also gave me errors in the problem memory stick.

thx for the help and suggestions though

Archived