Corsair Community

New build powers off within minutes

Doeboy

Every time I boot the computer it turns itself off. Sometimes it's very quick, sometimes 15 minutes. Most of the time I get about 7 minutes.

I have taken out all optional hardware and subtituted and old working parts I had where I could.

This is the current setup:

ASUS A8N-E (rev 2.00 BIOS 1008)

AMD Athlon 64 3700+

Antec SmartPower 2.0 500W

Corsair Value Select 1GB (VS1GBKIT400)

The number under the Barcode on the RAM are:

783-0521049-0-604185 and

783-0521049-0-604186

I am using an old video card in PCI slot 2 that I know is working (ATI mach64)

I don't get any kind of error message or any warning. The power just turns off. The standby LED on the motherboard remains on as well as the red light on my optical mouse. I wanted to prove that the memory was not the problem but everytime I run memtest it turns off very quickly (within 1 minute). I have used each stick of ram individually and in different slots.

Can bad RAM make a PC turn off?

The BIOS settings are at the default. I turned off USB settings to remove any compatabilty problems with memtest86 (version 1.60).

I'm stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Corsair Employees
Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Archived