Corsair Community

Asus A8N-SLI Delux with Corsair memory failiur

Dovresjo

I have a rather anoying error with my system. I'm useing 2x 512 MB PC3200 Corsair value (newly baught) and 2x 512 PC3200 Corsair (older modules with heatsink from 2003). The problem first came up while I was playing Everquest 2 (aprox. memoryusage for application = 700-120 MB). Some Objekts in the world (Objekt in the term of Objekt progaming) was dissapering. I thought this was an application error but have recently had gamecrashes where windows shuts it down due to a memory call of 1 MB. This sounded strange but then I've also got the message that IEexplorer was trying to access a memory position that does not exist.

Memtest+ showed no errors on the memory.

What could be the error in this case?

Ty for you help.

MB: Asus A8N-SLI Delux

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+

PSU: 520 W

GPU: Asus GeForce 7800 GTX TOP

DRAM: 2048 (as total) Corsair memory.

Welcome to the forums, Dovresjo!

What are the model names and lot numbers of the memory modules?

Also, does this occur at random times or only after the system has been running for awhile?

As a simple fix, you could try increasing the VDimm (DDR Voltage) to 2.85 volts, but it would be a good idea to try the new modules in the system without the old ones and see if the issue remains.

PLUR

CK

Module Numbers: VS512MB400 and CMX512-3200C2

I'm sorry but what is lot numbers? (English is only my second language so you''ll have to excuse me)

The error occures after some time. It does NOT occure if the computer is merly started and run with less demanding applications. I've only encountered this problem when I've sometime during runtime have exceded somewhere around 1000 MB of memory used.

Hello Dovresjo,

Your problem, in this case, is mixing different versions of RAM. The Value Select and the XMS lines are not designed to be mixed together in the same system. (That is, the Value Select should only be mixed with other Value Select modules of the same CAS rating. Likewise for the XMS modules - the XMS modules must match in both CAS latency and in revision number.)

Furthermore, in general only two sticks of memory should be used for dual-channel operation at DDR400. If you try to use all four sticks, especially if they are double-sided, you may have to lower your memory clock speed to DDR333 (PC2700/166MHz) in order for your system to run stable.

So should I invest in new memorysticks and lower the latency or invest in new sticks without changing the latency.

What kind of memory should I invest in if I'd like to use all 4 slots (since that would only obligate me to buy 2 more sticks of a total of 1024 MB)

I have now removed the Value-select modules and moved the XMS-modules to appropriate possitions. I still got this message when running an application:

"

Application crashed: access violation reading from adress 0x15b0337c!

SymInit searchpath: "My search path"

SymGetSymFromAddr: 487, addr: 0x005a6dbf

StackWalk: 6

"

What is the error now? This could not have been due to the different types of memory I've used since I only used 1 type now.

Archived