Corsair Community

TWINX Bad Modules?

fedshouse

Ok so heres the problem. My power supply went bad and I replaced it. Now I am getting random errors (blue Screen, lockup, etc.) So I ran memtest and it throws like 10 errors. So I put in another stick of generic memory in my PC and it throws no errors. I am running on it right now. I take my XMS memory and stick it into another PC and run memtest and get the same 10 errors. So I go ahead and remove one stick and try to test it stick by stick and get no errors on either stick. I try it in both slots (other MB only has two slots) and get no errors. I stick both sticks back in and bam I get the 10 errors again. I doesn't matter if I have it on BIOS default or set the timing according to the post I get the errors if both modules are in the PC. Am I missing something or is this just strange? These modules were purchased as a TWINX combo over 1 1/2 years and no problems until now. Any suggestions?

• Corsair Employee
Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700LL Cass 2-3-2-5 (With the Ras to Cas set to "3") for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get no errors, please install them in slots 1-3 or 2-3 and see if that will resolve the problem.

Ok I tested them singlely and I am getting errors with the timings set now. I set it back to SPD and I get no errors on either DIMM. If I put both in and set the timings then I still get errors. I have alternated the slots they were in and it doesn't make a difference. What should I do from here?:!:

I am running and AMD Athlon XP 2800+ w/333 FSB

I have my CPU voltage set at default, my FSB speed is set to 166. I set the DIMM voltage to 2.7. I changed the settings for the RAM in the bios to

RAS to CAS 3

CAS Latency 2T

Row Precharge tRP 2T

Active to Precharge 5T

Bank Interleave 4Bank

All other settings are BIOS default. I currently have one stick in slot 1 and a stick in slot 3. I have alternated both sticks in the slots. I have put both sticks in slot 2 and slot 3 as well as slot 2 and slot 1. I get the errors on the memory no matter which slot it is in. If I put this memory into another PC that I cannot change the settings on timing, I get the errors. I have placed another stick of memory into my machine and I get no errors on the non Corsair stick.

The thing is that on the other PC if I place a single stick in at a time I get no errors on either stick. It only comes up with the errors if both sticks are in the machine at the same time. It is a Compaq computer with Phoenix BIOS and I can't change any memory settings. The board only has two slots also. On my other machine, I get the errors no matter what slot they are in, and whether they are both in the machine, or a single stick is in the machine.

However as I said above with a non Corsair memory stick the machine throws no errors at all.

Archived