Corsair Community

Memory for ABIT NF7-S

bbrener

I have an ABIT NF7-S rev 1.1. It currently has 2 Corsair CMX256A-3200C2 256MB DDR400 memory installed. There is an unused 3rd slot.

1. I would like to add 512MB to the 3rd slot. Any known issue doing this?

2. The correct memory seems to be Corsair CMX512-3200C2. Is that correct? I cannot find a 512 module called CMX512A. Is the 'A' relevant?

Thanks

Brian

1. I would like to add 512MB to the 3rd slot. Any known issue doing this?

The Version# would have to be the same as the RAM you have now.

2. The correct memory seems to be Corsair CMX512-3200C2. Is that correct? I cannot find a 512 module called CMX512A. Is the 'A' relevant?

Nope.There is no 512A, so you don't need to worry about that.

Your best best would to buy a TWINX1024 set.

The Version# would have to be the same as the RAM you have now.

Nope.There is no 512A, so you don't need to worry about that.

Your best best would to buy a TWINX1024 set.

Thanks but I do not understand what you mean by version #. The 256Mb sticks I have are still available. Can I add a 3rd 256MB then?

I have 512Mb now. I really dont want to spend that much on 2 new sticks and throw the old ones away if I can help it.

Brian

It's an nVidia nForce2 Ultra SPP chipset and can handle a dual-ranked module in the third DIMM slot.

By revision number, he's referring to the fact that the 3200C2 modules have gone from Rev 1.0 to 5.1 with more than a few permutations in between. This means that several different PCB revisions were made along with at least five different IC's (memory chips) being used to construct the modules. So while they're still called XMS3200C2 memory because of their performance characteristics, that does not mean that the different modules in the family will run with each other reliably.

If you want to know the revision number of your modules, you can look in the upper right-hand corner of the sticker on the heat-spreaders. It'll say something like XMS3202v2.0 or some such. Take a look at this thread: How to Read the Memory Label.

What it all boils down to is that you can try adding another CMX512-3200C2 module (put the two 256's in the first two slots and the 512 in the offset third memory slot), but there's no garauntee that it'll run. Also, you'll probably have to relax your latencies and/or reduce their operating frequency.

The best/most reliable option for 1GB of memory is to buy a TwinX1024- or VS1GBKIT set and find another use for the 2 * 256 modules.

PLUR

CK

Archived