Corsair Community

Asus K8V SE Deluxe and memory issues

Ebonflame

I just recently added a second stick of the VS256MB 400 to my motherboard. Windows now bluescreens after a few minutes. I took out the new stick and thing seemd to work fine. I then swapped sticks and Windows really went wild claiming that it recovered from a serious error. Figuring that I had a bad stick I ran Memtest, but it came back clean. Puzzled, I did memtest on the old stick and it too came back clean. I've searched through the forums and did the usual suggestions (try slot 1-3 and up the voltage to 2.7) but that did not help. Any suggestions?

K8V SE Deluxe

2 x VS256MB400 sticks

Athlon64 3200+

350W Power supply.

Please install the modules in slots 1-3 and 2-3 and then set the memory voltage to 2.7 Volts and test the system with http://www.memtest.org to be sure.

Here's the wonderful results....

Slots 1&2 - memtest runs fine, Windows craps out with random bluescreens, mainly 00000050 and 000000d1.

Slots 1 and 3 - memetest runs fine, Windows again craps out with similar blue screens, reports recovering from serious errors, but it does take a little longer for this to happen.

Slots 2 and 3 - memtest runs fine, Windows SEEMS to be fine, however ASUS states that running the memory in slots 2 and 3 will bump the speed down to DDR 333. This is not an optimal solution.

All the above tests are with the voltage set to 2.7 volts.

And another ASUS quirk on this board, it locks down the memory timing. I have no way to tell the motherboard to run the memory at the proper timing (2.5/3/3/6). Instead, I get 2.5/3/3/8.

I've got one more stick coming that I'll try with the original stick just to see if it was simply an incompatible stick, or if it's ASUS's 'qualty' product.:[pouts:

• Corsair Employees
Please do me a favor and put the user manual in your draw and just ignor it for the timime being. Then make sure that you have the latest bios and with the modules in slots 2-3 counting with slot one being closest to the CPU and load setup defaults and set the memory voltage to 2.7 Volts. In addition, VSXXXMB400 would be set to Cas 2.5-3-3-8, I think you are looking at another module. Just let the MB set the timings by SPD and set the memory frequency at 2-1 or running at 200 MHz AKA: DDR400. Then test the system with http://www.memtest.org.

Please do me a favor and put the user manual in your draw and just ignor it for the timime being. Then make sure that you have the latest bios and with the modules in slots 2-3 counting with slot one being closest to the CPU and load setup defaults and set the memory voltage to 2.7 Volts. In addition, VSXXXMB400 would be set to Cas 2.5-3-3-8, I think you are looking at another module. Just let the MB set the timings by SPD and set the memory frequency at 2-1 or running at 200 MHz AKA: DDR400. Then test the system with http://www.memtest.org.

Hehe, I'm glad someone else in this industry takes those manuals with a grain of salt on occasion.

And from Corsair's own memory compatibility look up, it states the VS256MB400 is 2.5-3-3-6. I'm not too concerned about this though.

My bios is set to 1.07. The memory IS in slots 2 and 3 now, and looking at the BIOS settings, it seems to be at 400 MHz, thankfully. As I posted earlier, memtest ran fine with no errors, and Windows seems to be fine with this configuration. I will definately come back and post if it does fail. Thanks for the assist.

Just a quick follow up. I managed to get my hands on another 256 MB module and the same problems occur. It just seems that the board does not like the 256 MB modules in any slots other than 2 and 3. Again, thanks for the assist. It's nice to have 512 MB running in my system now.

• Corsair Employees
That is a miss print, I have asked to get it corrected but our web master is shal we say slow. We do not publish timings for our Value Select, other than the Cas timing of Cas 2.5 or Cas 3. Can you provide a link were you see this? Or tell me were you see it on the configurator?

That is a miss print, I have asked to get it corrected but our web master is shal we say slow. We do not publish timings for our Value Select, other than the Cas timing of Cas 2.5 or Cas 3. Can you provide a link were you see this? Or tell me were you see it on the configurator?

Go through the configurator, select MOTHERBOARD, ASUS, K8V SE Deluxe and GO. At the bottom of the page, where the scrollable list of memory is, it lists the VS256MB400 and the full timing. I would post a link, but the only web link is just configurator results.

Go through the configurator, select MOTHERBOARD, ASUS, K8V SE Deluxe and GO. At the bottom of the page, where the scrollable list of memory is, it lists the VS256MB400 and the full timing. I would post a link, but the only web link is just configurator results.

Just checked the configurator and they changed the 6 to and 8. Pretty quick, guys.

• 9 months later...

Just wanted some clarification RAM guy...

The manual for the Asus K8V SE deluxe does say that if you use all 3 dimm slots the speed will go down from ddr 400 to ddr 333 for single sided and ddr 200 for double sided.

Can you confirm this? I know it isn't really your place but your advice of putting the manual aside and

"Just let the MB set the timings by SPD and set the memory frequency at 2-1 or running at 200 MHz AKA: DDR400."

seems to imply otherwise.

I have just purchased an additional value select cl2.5 512mb from corsair which is identifical to the two 512mb corsair value select cl2.5 currently in my pc.

I would like to know if putting in the last 512mb slot thus occupying the last DIMM slot will bring it down to DDR 200 which would be disappointing and am unsure whether this would bring a performance hit instead of a gain.

I read somewhere that if you set the memory frequency through the BIOS it runs at DDR400 despite the 3 dimm slots being used but I'm rather ancy as why would Asus intentionally quote something that makes their mobo look bad?

Some advice would be appreciated as my nerves aren't very good now as I have just spent quite a lot of money on RAM (in total) and would hate to find out that the three RAM modules will now work at half their rated speed. Computer is atm in another country so I am unable to test on it.

Archived