AMD Sempron 64 2600+ Retail

AMD Socket 754 HSF

Asus K8S-MX Motherboard

At radeon 9800 128mb

1 gb (2x512) 400fsb Corsair DDR (life)

- Single stick / not dual channel

120GB WD 7200 ATA100 HD (1)

new stick was vs512mb400c3

i have three ram slots i had 1 gb (2x512) 400fsb Corsair DDR (life)

- Single stick / not dual channel

but i put the new stick in the empty slot and my screen stayed black and my optical mouse wouldnt turn on..

any help would be great

Are you sure you listed the correct motherboard model? That model board, according to the Asus website and review sites, only has two dimm sockets not three. Also what is listed on the label of the old ram and the new ram, model and version numbers.

That's (part of) your problem right there. Your existing memory is of a different make, with different timings, than your Value Select memory. And modern motherboards will likely hiccup when memory of completely different timings and brands (and even capacities) are mixed together in the same system. For best results, you should match all three sticks of memory (i.e. replace all three of your sticks with identical modules, such as three identical 512MB sticks of Value Select). And if your system won't even boot with all three memory slots filled, that's because the nForce2 chipset has a limit on the total number of memory banks @ DDR400 (PC3200): In this case, you can use only two double-sided modules but leave the third slot empty, or you can use one double-sided module plus two single-sided modules. All three of your memory modules are likely double-sided, which exceeds the chipset limitations for DDR400 memory.

Ditto, except it's a limitation of the memory controller in your processor and the chipset on the motherboard. After perusing you're motherboard specs over at the Asus site:

http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A7V8X-X&langs=09

I'm afraid there isn't a way for you to get all three sticks to run together with mismatched ic's (integrated circuit chips) on the sticks. In order to cram a memory controller into an Amd 64 procesor certain compensating circuits had to be left out (that were originally located on the northbridge chip on the motherboard). This led to the requirement of matched sticks (matching identical ic's). Sorry.

CplMini, you've listed two different computers and intertwined their components.

Please specify which computer is having the problem!

The A7V8X motherboard is a Socket A system where the memory controller is in the chipset. The Sempron 2300+ is a Socket A CPU while the Sempron 2600+ can be either Socket A or Socket 754.

The K8S is a Socket 754 solution with the memory controller in the CPU.

The A7V8X can handle mis-matched memory modules, the K8S cannot.

PLUR

CK

CplMini, If your still reading this thread I'd listen to Candykid. You may be able to get the ram to work. Sorry, but I wasn't aware that the Sempron came in a socket A flavor, thought it was a 754. Looking at the Asus board again it appears you can only get two sticks to run at 400mghz speed (3200). If you drop the clock to 333mghz (167mghz actual clock rate) in the bios; all three may be able to run together.

Archived