Corsair Community

Bad RAM module.

gpwolfe

Greetings,

I purchased 2 sticks of the VS1GB400C3 for my A8n-sli deluxe motherboard this July.

I replaced one set of the TwinX 1GB (2x512GB) kit I had in there w/these two DIMMs. To my knowledge everything was doing fairly swell until I started doing lots of video work.

On large movies, in premiere, I get odd errors ("...the memory at 0x??????? could not be read..."), crashed back to the desktop, and outright reboots.

At first I thought it was the power supply. I replaced it with a an Antec TP2-550EPS12V. I still got the issues. Then I started pulling components. I've narrowed it down to one of the 1GB memory modules. The DIMM in question was in the last slot, which could explain why I wasn't seeing the issue until I had a large enough dataset to fill it.

In any event I relocated the DIMM to the first slot and ran memtest86. Almost immediately on the first test on about the 612/613MB mark into the DIMM it gives continuous errors.

I get the same report from memtest86 when I put the stick into my K8n-neo4 sli platinum motherboard. All my other pieces of RAM seem fine. I've put memtest86 on them individually for over 24 hours each w/no errors.

And, other than lots of swapping, premiere happily deals with my video edits. (i.e. No more odd crashing behavior.)

I'd very much like to do an RMA on the bad stick that I have. I tried calling the tech support but that just results in a voicemail asking me to leave a message for "...ID 221" which, I'm not convinced isn't a "black hole".

Please respond ASAP.

Thanks,

--Gary

• 2 weeks later...
You should not be mixing memory with this platform. And you have Vale Select and XMS both listed as installed in your system.

Can you tell me our modules part# and revision (How To Read the Memory Label) of all of the modules you have installed, and the module or modules you think are failing?

Being at work I don't have access to the data for the TwinX set. However I gave you the data for the Value Select parts (VS1GB400C3) in my original post. The value select does not have the fruity laser holo-sticker product tag on it. There's the number I just listed and a barcode number.

I don't see how the TwinX pieces are relevant since my testing methodology called for the testing each stick of memory individually. And then collectively. All the modules that passed the single iterative test also passed collectively. Whenever this _one_ module that failed was being tested by itself or together, there would be failures.

All memory passed _except_ this one of my 2 sticks of value select.

Any possibility for an RMA now? Please?

--Gary

tried running a vs1gb400c3 with soyo kt-400 ultra black. Couldnt install some games and games would crash, as well as not allowing a reformat. Are there any bios settings I need to use to retest this memory in my system. been running 2 x 512 pc3200 sticks and also tried 3 pc2700 sticks of other brand ram and all is fine. Figured out it was the ram by just running the 1 gig stick by its self. So please let me know of the proper bios settings for this soyo kt-400 ultra black to use the vs1gb400c3. thanks

Thanks for the reply, however, I tried the 1 gig stick in slot 1 and set the voltage to 2.7 (was already set to 166mhz in bios) (333mhz) and experienced the same instability. ie: program crashes and random restarts. I ran cpu-z and under spd settings it only shows it runs at 200mhz (400mhz) but not any other bus speed. can this ram run at 333mhz? This ram shows compatible with my motherboard on corsair list. Is it the xp2700 cpu that its not compatible with? or is this memory just bad?

What are you looking at in CPU-Z? If you are looking at the SPD then you are seing the modules timings set in the SPD and that will not change. I would try Everest Home and look under the CPU or chipset.

Yes I am looking at the spd and I know the timings wont change thats why I said it says its only 200mhz capable of running. If this is the case then how is setting it at 333mhz going to maKE IT COMPATIBLE? I think its bad and would like to return it. Ive spent weeks on trying to get this to work and the fact is it doesn't. And it would have been nice if you could have answered all my questions in the first place instead of 1 out 3 whatever questions. I have checked other ram on cpuz under spd and it will give the full range of compatibilty bus speed and timings that go with it. This vs1gb400c3 only stes 200 mhz and thats it, should it include 166 as well?

• Corsair Employees

No that’s not the point! I had given you the RMA directions. However, since you ask, I would suggest you make sure that you have the memory frequency set to 1-1 to 100% so it’s in sync with your CPU and set the memory voltage to 2.7 Volts. Which I think was posted before as well.

If you dont want to join the forum you can use TSXpress from the link in my signature as well.

Archived