Corsair Community

Bad RAM modules

Pioneer

I have 2 RMA requests:

1)

I bought a Tyan Tiger K8W, dual Opteron 246 and 1024MB ECC/registered RAM (TWINX1024RE-3200LL) almost 2 years ago. The system was not stable, and after doing some tests (including memtest), I found the memory to be at fault. I later read on these forums that these modules were not recommended for use with these Tyan motherboards. This information was not available at the time of my purchase. Due to time constraints (not having a server for some days was not an option) I ordered replacement RAM (2 CM72SD1024RLP-3200 modules), which solved the problem and has been working well untill recently.

To summarize:

I have TWINX1024RE-3200LL modules that fail memtest, used both together and separately in different slots, tried under several BIOS settings (not that Tyan allows you to change much except timings and bus speed) including SPD default. I'd like to get these replaced, preferably for some other type of modules that are more likely to work with this motherboard (Tyan Tiger K8W).

2)

A couple of weeks ago I started getting Machine Check Event popups (again, since this was one of the symptoms displayed by the bad modules previously mentioned in 1). I ran memtest86+, and I traced the problem to one of the CM72SD1024RLP-3200 modules. The module has been working well for over a year, but appears to be failing.

If you recommend that I RMA both of the CM72SD1024RLP-3200 modules, is it possible to get the modules in item 1 replaced first, since that would allow me to run the server using those modules while I wait for new CM72SD1024RLP-3200 modules. I'm currently using the single working module without any problems.

Thanks

Thanks, but I'd really prefer to avoid making international phone calls, if that's possible. The modules are all bought at http://www.komplett.no , Norway, and they referred me here to get the modules replaced. If it's a problem to exhange the twinx pair for another type of modules, is it at least possible to RMA the faulty CM72SD1024RLP-3200 module? A replacement should be able to be used alongside my currently working module, is that correct?

Thanks again.

Archived