Corsair Community

Need RMA or Help?

x_aces_x

Hi all

I have 2 sticks of CMX512 - 3200XLPT according to the sticker. I've run memtest, and the program itself crashed out! I ran it again, the day after, and it rans six hours without finding any faults?

My computer won't boot with these two sticks in but will work with other types of ram. Here are the full RAM details:

CMX512 - 3200XLPT

XMS3208v1.1

0436040-3

XMS 3200 512Mb 400Mhz 2225

An RMA or some advice about my board (which is Abit NF7-S2) would be welcome.

Thanks

• Corsair Employees

It depends on the CPU and how well it will over clock.

But I would start at 166 Mhz at 100% with the timings set to By SPD and set the voltage to 2.8 Volts and work your way up lowering the CPU Multiplier to see where the CPU tops out.

The computer is still throwing up error messages:

IRQL_LESS_OR_EQUAL... and PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA...

According to most of the net, this is my memory. Although the crashes are aren't frequent, this is still a pain. I have had the computer running for several hours without problem, but it seems to crop up still.

This sounds suspiciously like a power supply issue initially. I suspect something was jarred when the Ram was installed and caused the initial failure of memtest. Subsequently, which ever lead it was was settled sufficiently to allow memtest to run for six hours error free (virtually ruling out bad ram). You're supply is more than adequate so I'd rule out the possibility of an inadequate supply (unless its failing- do you have any voltage monitoring programs). I'd definitely reseat all of the power connections in your system for starters. As to the IRQ_LESS_THAN_ and PAGE_FAULT ERRORS you're seeing I suspect you're going to need to reflash your bios, reload chipset drivers and video drivers (maybe DirectX as well); hopefully from a fresh download. One or more of these is corrupt, resulting in the errors you're seeing. In case you think I'm blowing smoke out my #@%$, this is what it took to fix three different friend's systems (two ram installations and one video card). Power related failures are one of the hardest to nail down. Good Luck.

ps: Hopefully, you're using a grounding strap before sticking you're hands inside the case, even a bare peice of wire works..

The power supply is new. Bought it a few days ago, as I suspected the same things you do. I have been runnin for over 24 hours now with my mates 512Mb stick instead of my normal RAM.

It's running fine with my mates RAM, so I'll give it another day and if there's no errors, it must be the ram. I have also reinstalled XP. Also during the installation of XP, I kept getting error messages saying it couldn't copy files across to the HD? Again, my mates RAM eliminated this error.

Voltages:

Ram is running at 2.8 - 2.82

CPU is fine between 1.65 - 1.7

Sys temp = 32 Deg

CPU temp = 35 Deg

Thank you for your response, it was sound advice.

BIOS settings for RAM:

By SPD

2.8V

FSB 133

------------

I have a PCI Audigy 2: Slot 2 from bottom

USB 2.0 PCI card: Slot 4 from bottom.

When I first installed windows, I didn't have any of these cards in, to reduce the risk of conflicts. And I still had problems installing windows xp. With my mates RAM in, I installed XP and put the cards back later. My system is still running fine with his RAM.

I haven't run memtest since the day it crashed, but it did appear to be running ok, although I didn't do the full test (just 6 hours worth).

With my current config, my mates RAM runs fine, I don't see why the Corsair is having such a problem, unless of course, it's knackered.

• Corsair Employees
It depends on the CPU and how well it will over clock.

But I would start at 166 Mhz at 100% with the timings set to By SPD and set the voltage to 2.8 Volts and work your way up lowering the CPU Multiplier to see where the CPU tops out.

Please make sure that you are setting the memory frrequency manually to 1-1 or at 100% or that may be the cause of this error.

The only memory options available on the NF7-S2 are as follows:

Row Active Delay = 8

RAS to CAS Delay = 3

Row Precharge Delay = 3

CAS Latency = 3.0

This is the default config that my MoBo uses with my mates RAM. If the Corsair needs to have manual changes made, then tell me the settings.

Assuming this RAM actually works, I find it annoying that expensive RAM is so difficult to configure. My mate buys some £20 a stick stuff, drops it in and away he goes. Your RAM is a pain in the ***.

I'm decent enough when it comes to hardware, but cannot figure this out.

• Corsair Employees
I have suggested you set the memory frequency manually; this is normally where you set the CPU frequency. If you are not familiar with your bios I would contact the maker of your MB and ask them to help you. But if you leave the default settings I don’t care whose memory you use you will likely get errors or have a slow system.

There is no option to set the frequency manually, except for 100, 133, 166, and 200Mhz on the FSB.

As my board is already set to the 133 FSB that you suggested, I can't change any other options regarding RAM, apart from the ones in my previous post.

The only other possible options are "Optimal, Aggressive, Turbo, Expert"

I already have it in optimal mode (the most stable) but can put it in expert mode if you wish me to change any of the setting in my previous post.

Try looking in the PDF manual on http://www.abit.com.tw for the NF7-S2 (socket A) if you think im missing something. I don't think that I am though.

I don't need any help from them. Everything that can be done, has been done. There are no other settings to alter.

This isn't a MoBo issue, it's a RAM one. This RAM has gone tits up in 2 motherboards now, and although I'm not sure why, I do not believe it's the board settings. Incompatible with the board maybe, but not any settings.

I've requested an RMA and would like you swap it. If this type of RAM needs a particular setting that I can't gain access to, then it isn't documented anywhere, not even in my MoBo manual.

• Corsair Employees

O.K. Well I guess I dont understand your post. But I have no problem replacing your modules.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Archived