Corsair Community

A8N32-SLI with 4 TWINX2048-3500LLPRO modules

Stefan

Hello,

I'm currently planing to build a new machine. The Asus A8N32-SLI mainboard together with an Athlon64 X2 4800+ and Corsair TWINX2048-3500LLPRO memory modules seems like a very interesting solution. However, I wonder whether such a system would work reliably with all 4 memory slots populated, i.e., totally 4GB memory, and the maximum advertised timings, i.e., 2-3-2-6-1T at DDR437 (or at least at DDR400).

The system will have to reliably run 24x7 under high load, so while I'm looking for the fasted possible solution it is just as important for me that the system will be really rock stable.

Thanks for any advice.

Best regards,

Stefan

Welcome to the forums, Stefan!

For 100% rock-hard stability, go with a server and registered ECC memory modules...

However, that setup would probably work, but I believe you'd be set at a 2T command rate due to a memory controller limitation.

Also, TwinX sets are only rated in pairs because when you get that much memory and that many modules, a lot of loading occurs which can dramatically affect memory performance and how the controller handles it.

So yes, there's a good possibility that all four slots could be filled (4GB), but you'd probably have to relax the latencies a little bit and increase the voltage.

I still have to ask, though, why do you want 4GB of memory? 2GB is more than enough for all but the most taxing tasks.

PLUR

CK

• Corsair Employees

Please understand we can only guarantee one set of our TWINX memory to work in any motherboard. It is also important to note that there is a limitation with the Athlon 64 which causes the memory controller which is built on to the CPU to run memory at DDR333 when more than 2 banks are filled even on some of the new Toledo Core X2s. This is a limitation on the processor itself and not the memory. The basic steps you can take to attempt to get past this are as follows:

1. Upgrade to the latest BIOS available for your motherboard which can be found at the website of your mainboard company.

2. Set the Memory Frequency to DDR400 manually while setting the command rate of the memory (found in memory configuration) to "2T".

3. Make sure the memory voltage is set to at least 2.8 when running 4 modules.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks for your replies. Yes, I do consider a dual-Opteron server mainboard as an alternative. This would have other advantages too, most notably the PCI-X slots from which the 3ware RAID controller I'm planning to deploy would benefit, at least until good PCI-e RAID controllers become available.

However, I'm concerned on per-core peek performance of such a system because of the considerably slower registered memory modules such a mainboard requires. So far I have been unable to find a benchmark comparing dual core Athlon X2 vs. dual CPU single core Opteron configurations to get some figures how big the impact of the slower memory would be. In case someone can give me pointers to such benchmark results I'd definitely be very interested in it.

Furthermore, an other disadvantage of such a solution is, of course, the much higher costs.

The answer to the question why I need that much memory is that the system will have to run really a lot of things concurrently. Several VMWare instances, several databases, several development applications and so on. I currently have two systems with 2GB of memory and I'm almost reaching the limits on both of them. So while 2GB would probably still be a suitable setup as of now, I doubt it will still be enough in a year.

Best regards,

Stefan

• Corsair Employees
We were not making reference to socket 940 Opteron CPU's, maybe CK said something. But if you want to use 4 modules I would suggest Twinx2048-3200 as they would be Cas 3 and will run stable in this MB. And the issue with running 4 modules still apply, in that you may be limited to DDR333 with 4 modules and you will have to run at 2T Command Rate.

• 2 weeks later...

:feedback: Hello,

I'm new to forums and posting so I hope I get it right. I was hoping for some more information on the issue of using 4 sticks of the XMS35OOLLPRO. I try to read as much as possible before buying, but I havent seen anything on the AMD controler issue and reverting to 333spd for memory in excess of 2g. Is this on the San Diego 4000 also, as thats what I purchased? Is there anywhere to read this or any reason for it. I guess I dont know why AMD list it to run DDR400 without stating that problem, and why do motherboard manufactures do the same as Asus has done with the A8N32-SLI, which has 4 slots and says 4g? I saw no information on this and ordered the 4g or ram and motherboard, I got the ram and then found out the mb didnt come in. Only after reading in the e-manual that was finaly listed on their site did I discover it showing it could only run 2g of this particular ram, however it shows others that it can run 4g of with no limitaions listed for them, although it doesnt show their specs either. It appears it was stated here that 4g should work with the settings being changed, does this mean it can still be overclocked and work well or will it just be slower and have issues? I was just trying to prepare for the future as I dont want to build another comp. for hopefully about 3 yrs. and with the ram and sli and then the new windows os that supposedly needs 2g itself to run smooth, I went for 4g now. Any replies, suggestions, additional information, and setting tips for this would be greatly appreciated. thanks much

• Corsair Employees
I think if you read back thru this post we have already answered these questions! And I cannot speak for MB makers so you would need to direct that question at them. But this is nothing new and these same limitations apply to all platforms using un-buffered memory. I would suggest watching the Memory Basics Presentation as this subject is discussed briefly, about loading on the chipset/memory controller.

Archived