Corsair Community

Can I exchange my RAM?

jwatrous

In my computer I have 2 gigs of ram: 1GB XMS 3200XL Twinx (which I bought a week ago) and 1GB XMS 3200LL (according to computer build sheet). Around the same time that I installed the extra gig of ram I also setup a RAID 0 with two 120GB Seagate SATA hard drives. My motherboard is an Intel D875PBZ Bios Version P14.

My problem is that my computer has now become very very unstable. It locks up every 20 mins and I cant even play battlefield 2 for than 10 mins before it freezes. Nothing in my system is overclocked and all my bios setting are factory from a fresh reformat two days ago.

Im trying to determine if my ram or my RAID 0 is the culprit. Memtest86 showed an error during test 4 on the second pass (first pass was clean) but no error on a third pass. I read a post from here saying that 4 modules of memory might make your computer unstable so I was wondering if the ram might be the problem. Should I upgrade my Bios?

Thanks

Jeramie

I bought some 1Gb xms 3200XL ram and it suggest a voltage of 2.774v. My Motherboard is an Intel D875PBZ and as far as I can tell I cant up the memory voltage from 2.6v. Is this going to effect the performance of the ram significantly? Does anyone know a way to up the voltage with this MoBo?

If you look at the second picture down in the link below there is a bios screen in my motherboard that allows you to change the memory voltage, but its not in my bios. Does anyone know how to get this screen?

http://www.digital-daily.com/motherboard/intel-d875pbz/index03.htm

After entering the bios on startup, did you use the arrow keys on your keyboard to move over and highlight "Advanced" then press the "enter" key? According to the link's screenshots, "DDR voltage" should be in the "Advanced" section.

ps: don't forget to hit the F10 key to exit and save changes after adjusting the voltage- my xl's are running fine at 2.7 volts.

yes I checked in the advanced section. My bios version has that exact same menu that you see in the link EXCEPT for the voltage and the other two options directly above it. If you look at the first screenshot, it says that the bios version is P21. My bios version is P34. Can I "regress" to the earlier bios version without jacking up my system?

• Corsair Employee
If you dont have the option to set the memory voltage then you might not be able to run these modules. But you will need to have the latest revision of the MB to have the voltage option. You might check with Intel to be sure. Sorry.

Well it seems that even though the Motherboard Configurator on this site says that the 1024Mb Twin-x 3200XL is compatible with my motherboard (Intel D875PBZ) it doesnt look like Im able to change the memory voltage in BIOS. It has been more than 15 days since I bought the memory so I cant take it back to the store so my question is can I exchange this ram (3200XL) for a gig of something that is compatible with the stock voltage of my motherboard (2.6V i think is stock). I currently have a gig of 3200LL that came with my computer so something that is compatible with that too.

Thanks

Jeramie

So a while ago I was trying to upgrade my ram from 1 gig to 2 gig so I bought some 1024Mb twin-x 3200XL to go along with my 1024Mb Twin-x 3200LL. Come to find out later these two are not compatible and I am not able to up the memory voltage on my motherboard for the 3200XL (even though Corsair said it was compatible with my motherboard). Since its too late to return the 3200XL to the store, I was wondering if it was possible to adjust the memory timing so that I could use both sets of ram. To use the 3200XL I found that a timing of 2-3-3-7 works with the standard voltage of 2.6V. The 3200LL has a timing of 2-3-2-6. I was wondering if I could adjust the timing to say 2-3-2-6 for both sets (or some other timing so that both would work). Will this mostly be a trial and error sort of thing (running memtest after each change) and do I run any danger of permanently harming something?

As I said before I am not able to up the voltage on my motherboard (intel d875pbz). I checked with intel and they said theres no option for it on my motherboard. So Im not sure why Corsair said the ram was compatible and now its too late to take it back to the store :mad: . RamGuy said that if I change the timing on the 3200XL to 2-3-3-7 then it might run fine. It seems to be fine so far and Im about to run memtest on just the 3200XL to find out. Since Im not going to get the performance boost form the 3200xl over my old stuff (since i have to slow down the timing and cant change the voltage), I might as well try to run both sets for 2 gigs of ram.

Most MOBO's set to default settings will run a 2.6 RAM voltage.

You would really need to read the MOBO manual for advanced settings.

When set to default, CPU and RAM setings are usually grayed out.

You would need to go to the Chipset/Advanced (whatever) tab and change

the setting from default to Custom or User Defined.

The CPU and RAM settings should now be available.

Archived