Corsair Community

[RMA request] Bad 256Mb XMS2400 module

El_Frigo

Dear RAM Guy,

Yesterday my computer froze without a warning and the pc-speaker started to intermittently beep. Switching the PC on/off (and waiting for 10+ minutes) did not stop the beeping. The PC just did not start to POST (only a black/blank screen).

I started to deduct the problem and ended up with, what I think is, a faulty RAM module. I used MemTest-86 3.2 to find any errors in the modules and switched the memory modules between memory slots 1, 2 and 3.

My tests (I marked the two identical modules of 256MB with A and B):

1. With only module A in slot 1,2 or 3 NO POST.
  2. With only module B in slot 1,2 or 3 PERFECT POST and no errors with Memtest.

3. With the module A in slot 1 and module B in slot 2 or 3 the speaker beeps and the PC does not POST.

4. With module B in slot 1 and module A in slot 2 or 3 it started perfectly but Memtest gave loads of errors on the Module A.

5. Finally I took both modules and tried them seperately (and solely) in another PC and module A did not POST and module B did work just fine.

So resuming my ideas and tests: I think my module A is broken.

According to the Corsair Warranty Policy and FAQs the module is still covered by your warranty policy (still labelled, no damage etc). I tried to contact the reseller where I purchased the product. But unfortunately it has been too long ago (2-3 years ago) since I purchased the product.

Superb !!

It would be great to have them both replace, that way I am sure that no faults are being mixed or ?neglegted?. The only problem is that I need that computer to work on. So I can miss one module but both would leave my PC completely out-of-order.

What should I do?

And BTW where can I find the RMA number, is the postID of this thread enough?

• Corsair Employees
Superb !!

It would be great to have them both replace, that way I am sure that no faults are being mixed or ?neglegted?. The only problem is that I need that computer to work on. So I can miss one module but both would leave my PC completely out-of-order.

What should I do?

You will need to speak directly to our customer service department about any questions pertaining to the actual RMA process. They will be able to explain it to you and answer any question or concerns you may have. Please call 1-888-222-4346 and Dial "0" to be transfered directly.

Thanks!

Archived