Corsair Community

P2.4C Overclocked

waming

I currently have the ASUS P4C 800-E deluxe MB with the Intel 2.4C processor overclocked to 3.12GHZ. I currently have corsair value select memory (was on a low budget) and want to upgrade my memory to something that will enhance performance especially playing Battlefiled 2 and MS flight simulator with all the bells and whistles. Can someone please recommend something that significantly increase performance without breaking the bank?

Thanks

• Corsair Employees
Well I dont know how big the bank is, but the best choice would be Twinx2048-3500LL for best performance and you can find them on http://www.pricewatch for $349.00 or the next step down would be Twinx2048-3200C2 for $299.00 of you could go with Value Select 2.0 Gig kit VS2GBKit400C3 for $219.83 as of 12:39 PM 10/11-2005. Please note the price may change at any time.

Over the weekend I tried the Corsair TWINX1024-4400C25 and was not very impressed. There was very little performance gain for the amount spent for that type of memory. Again, let me tell you guys what my current specs are and would appreciate the best recommendation of a high performance memory at a reasonable cost. I have the P2.4C overclocked to 3Ghz (FSB 250Mhz), the ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard.

What would be a good performer in terms of memory?

Thanks

Well, what type of performance increase are you looking for?

Also, what's your current memory divider? If you've got the VS modules running at DDR500 / PC4000, then you've gotten very lucky with them!

If not, then the performance gain from PC4400 would be due to a 1:1 divider and lower latencies.

With BF2, the game can actually see an FPS increase with 2GB of memory and thus RAM GUY suggested multiple 2GB sets of modules.

PLUR

CK

Be patient with me, this memory thing is a little new to me. My Value select I believe were giving me DDR 346 (using MEMTest86). It’s just that when I put in the 4400C25, I used a ratio of 1:1 at speeds of 250Mhz, 260Mhz etc….and the voltage was put to 2.85V, I did not see or feel performance increases when starting applications, FS2004 (all the bells and whistles here) etc…

Is there something else that I should try to tweak and make better aside from the memory? Should I just go back to the VS.

Let me know.

Increasing your memory bandwidth like that (I.E. faster memory) will yield performance gains in games and other high memory usage applications... most of our desktop applications won't see much of a change and even if it loads 1-2 seconds faster, we probably won't notice.

So if you're a gamer, then the 4400 would be a good choice.

From a working standpoint, you may see a performance gain from having MORE memory rather than faster memory, but again, it depends on the programs that you run. If they don't actually use the memory you have now, it won't give you any benefit.

PLUR

CK

Archived