Corsair Community

Corsair 512MB (133x) SD card

Craig

Hi,

I've just bought a Corsair 512MB (133x) SD card for my Nikon Coolpix S1. Unfortunately the camera just says 'the card cannot be used' when I insert it - with this error message on the camera, it is not possible to use any menus to format the card - i.e. it really is saying that the card cannot be used, not just reformat it in the camera.

I've tried a different card in the camera and it works fine. I've also tried the SD card in my PC and it works fine. I can read and write to it in the PC and I've tried reformatting to FAT on the PC (in the hope that the camera would then be able to see it and reformat it itself).

Therefore, I'd say the SD card works fine and the camera works fine, but they do not work together. I recently got rid of my previous digital camera because I was sick of the problems with the Smartmedia cards, hoping that the SD cards were easier to work with. I was under the impression that the only things to worry about were the cards speed (which is why I bought the fastest I could find) and format, but obviously this isn't the case.

Is there some other factor that stops your SD card from working in my camera. May be a disk information sector or power draw issues ? Clearly my camera interrogates the card in some way and deduces it's not perpared to use it (and there are no firmware updates for the camera).

It's bad for me if the only SD cards I can ever buy are exactly the same ones as listed in the camera's manual, and it can'tbe good for Corsair if people daren't buy your SD cards for their cameras because of possible compatibility issues.

Thanks,

Craig.

• Corsair Employees

Let's try replacing your card. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

But if you have the same problem, and or it may not hurt to check with the Camera maker and see if there is any new firmware updates for your camera that may solve this.

Thanks for your reply.

Just to reiterate from my original post, there are no firmware updates available for my camera.

Whilst I'm grateful for the offer, given that the SD works fine on my PC - just not in my Coolpix S1, is it actually worthwhile to return it? Does this mean that you'd expect this card to work ok in this camera ?

Thanks, Craig.

• Corsair Employees
Yes it should work with this camera as far as I know. I do not know of any issue with any camera or device that has not been addessed with a new firmware as long as the camera in question supports the size of the card and fat 32.

Archived