Corsair Community

One bad module out of two

hippy

I have the set of 2X256MB ddr333 xms 2700 ram(twin X if that helps). A little while back my computer started to only recognize one of them, so i checked all 3 of my slots with the good one and all are good, and then check all 3 slots with the bad one and it beeped at me and the bios wouldn't load.

Through deductive reasoning, the only conclusion i can come up with is that one of the modules failed. Main reason i am posting this is corsair's RMA policy requires i at least try to resolve this issue here, however don't think you guys can unless you can miracle me a new module through the PC(i know, wishful thinking on my part...lol).

If there is anything i can try that i haven't already and can't think of due to brain fart please let me know. Thanks in advance!:cool:

yep, sounds like a bad stick but you'll probably need to use memtest86 utility program to be sure. The following link will redirect you to Ram Guy's instructions for downloading and using this free ram testing utility.

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=187972#post187972

ps: Ram Guy is one of the official Corsair reps on this site and you'll need his approval for an rma, probably of both sticks if its a Twinx set.

got a quickie for ya....it seems the mem i bought a couple years ago has been dis-continued, and they want to replace my memory with pc3200....my mobo and cpu are running at 333mhx fsb(pc2700) and not too sure if that will work. most of the time i buy stuff clocked for what i got and have no clue if it will work. Not really wanting to overclock anything for stability and durability reasons, so if the new ram will run fine at the slower speed, then all will be fine....just curious. Thanks.:cool:

• Corsair Employees
You will need to manually configure your Bios and some Giga-Byte MB's do not over clock well or do well with manual settings. In addition, I would not suggest mixing memory. Can you find another use for the new modules maybe a new system?

well, a new system is out as i am a broke student, and my mobo only gives limited options for tweaking memory voltages. any chance of them just giving me some good old pc2700 512mb worth? I bought the twinx for dual channel cause i had planned to get a mobo that supported it, and never did. At this point my next system(a while away), will probably surpass the 3200 they want to send. by that time it will probably be running at 5500...lol.

As far as mixing memory, maybe not always the best thing to do, but i stick with brand names, like corsair, kingston and such. not the most advisable thing, but the one good stick of the twinx and the kingston 512 stick are working great together so far at 333mhz.:cool:

Archived