Corsair Community

A memory module seems to have DIED

jward

I bought a matched pair of TWINX1024 4400C25 1 GB Kit along with a Gainward 7800GTX Golden Sample, ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe, Samsung Spinpoint p120 250GB S-ATA 2 hard disk, Audigy 2 ZS and a San diego core 3700+ Athlon 64. The bottom line is that I think one of the modules is dead. The strange thing to remember before you read this e-mail is that all components worked perfectly together with the 1GB of this memory installed before this specific thing happened.

This is what I am about to send off to the retailer. If any of you know this problem and/or know a solution I'd love to hear from you. Thanks in advance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my last order I bought a matched pair of Corsair TWINX1024 4400C25 1GB (2 X 512MB sticks) Memory Modules and I think one of them has failed on me.

On Friday night I was running some of my games and nVidia 3D demo's to test out my new processor and graphics card etc. In the middle of an nVidia demo the computer just shut down and tried to restart. On trying to restart, the internal speaker sent out a 1 second beep every 2 seconds or so continuously. In the mean time nothing came up on display, the monitor just stayed on stand-by while the computer beeped. I switched it off and back on again and the same thing happened. Continuous beeping, obviously a signal sent from the motherboard.

The next morning I switched my PC on to see if it would work and luckily the PC started up fine. My sister who an hour and a half down the line was using Firefox and messanger, two low intensity programmes, suffered another spontaneous shutdown and restart and the beeping started again. I came out to investigate and started removing components from the motherboard to see if the PC would start up normally albeit without a specific component. I disconnected the hard drive, DVD drives and graphics card one by one and still that exact same 1 second beep, 2 second gap warning beep was sounding each time. I finally came to the memory and remembered that some hardware components have trouble with a gigabyte of memory installed especially graphics cards. My memory was configured as such: 1st stick in slot 1, 2nd stick in slot 3: in a dual channel, asynchronous setup as is the norm for matched pair memory kits. I removed the 2nd stick from slot 3 as a single stick in slot 1 would be the norm when setting up a PC with a single stick of memory. The computer started up perfectly and ran stably. I shut down and put back in the stick into slot 3 again, started up: Beep's started again in other words when I installed the second "Problematic stick". I switched the memory around thinking it might work better that way (Stick 1 in slot 3, Stick 2 in slot 1) . Unfortunately, no luck, beeps started again. I put what I thought was the problematic stick (Stick 2) in on it's own into slot 1 and the speaker beeped to it's heart's content. This proved that the stick was damaged as on it's own the computer could not function. Some things to remember now are my PC worked fine up to this point with the gigabyte of RAM installed and the graphics card running most of my games.

I would like to point out that I have not overclocked this PC at all. Overclocking is something I would leave for at least a month. However, another thing to remember is if I did overclock these modules this would have no effect on warranties in realtion to the memory as they are rated to work at 550MHz. The highest I have pushed them to is 400MHz standard speeds. They are modules specifically to be used for overclocking. The P.S.U. I am using is an Antec NEOPOWER 480W which I bought from you a while back with two very hefty 33A total 12V rails and extreme stability. This would not have caused a problem with the memory. I would also like to point out that I have never handled the memory in a damaging way, in other words never by the golden contacts on the bottom of the module.

TO BE CONTINUED......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

That was it. Nice wasn't it.

I'm sorry, I didn't quite get that. I let her use it once. Take it easy, Jesus, you're really agressive. Arghhhh!

Only joking, but honestly I don't know what you're talking about.

And just in case you're serious, she was using it that morning to look up the internet or something and it shut down on her like it shut down on me the previous night.

There's a 100% chance I won't even get to POST with the problematic one installed. The CPU, GPU, case fan's and hard disks start to spin and everything is hunky dory although nothing appears on screen and then the beeps start. Everytime that module is installed in my computer, no matter what configuration it's in, the motherboard warn's me with this 1 second beep and 2 second gap 1 second beep (approximatley). MEMTEST will unfortunately be useless on that module but I'll run it on the working module.

My sister lives in the same house as me. When I said "an hour and a half down the line" I didn't mean down the road. I meant an hour an a half into using the computer it shut down on her and the crap started to happen.

No Problem.

Should I ask for another two sticks from my retailer. I now know for a fact that this memory is 100% compatible with an A8N-SLI Deluxe so I think I will. What I was more so worried about was if I got this stuff again would I have the same problem because there was some continuous, stupid problem with Corsair memory and ASUS boards or something like that but I think I can rest assured that this memory is compatible.

• Corsair Employee
I would set the memroy voltage to 2.8 Volts if you have not done so, and make sure that you have the latest bios and load setup defaults before you make the voltage chnage. But if the system is just shutting down or restarting with no error code that might suggest a power problem.

I can't even get to the BIOS/POST screen when I have this module in. All components start spinning up and then the beeping starts. If i set the working module to run at 2.8V, switch off the PC and pop in the supposedly faulty one is there a chance this might work. I have already updated the Asus board about a week ago.

Immediatley tried it. Unfortunately, nothing.

1st. With good POSTable module installed, I set DDR Voltage to 2.8V, started up Windows, everything ran fine. Shutdown again.

2nd. Opened her up. Took out POSTable stick altogether and installed "supposedly" bad module with, remember, the DDR voltage set to 2.8V. Pressed power button, waited.... BEEEEP........BEEEEEP.........BEEEEEP...(I could do this all night)....BEEEEEP.

3rd. Decided to test the bad module in all the slots from A1 to B2, and unfortunaltely, nothing. If I ever needed expletive noises for a vulgar radio edit music single, I'd certainly know where to come.

Thanks for the help, indeed, all who have helped me out.

I take it that this means "SEND IT BACK, NOW". Yes?... Thought so.

Thanks again, John.

Archived