Corsair Community

Switch from a7n8x to a7nax-e

JimmieJoe

Hello Again, Long tme.

I have recently been having problem with my A7N8X deluxe running slower than normal even with a fresh install of XP Pro. I have also run the system from BART PE, but the results are still slower than normal.

I recently decided to try out the A7N8X-E Deluxe, but found it would not POST using the same hardware as the A7N8X deluxe. The only way to boot was to CLR CMOS, then it would boot one time.

Any idea if this is a memory issue or other problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hardware:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe or A7N8X-E Deluxe

Corsair TWINX1024-3200LL

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (Barton)

ATI 9700Pro

WD800JB System drive 80GB

ST3160023AS RAID 0 320GB

Toshiba SD-M1612 DVD-ROM

Lite-On SOHW-1633S DVD-RW

Antec TruePower 430 PowerSupply

Regards,

JimmieJoe

Now the A7N8X Delux can not POST either, is is saying the memory is bad.

The only way to POST is to CLRCMOS then it will start in reduced speed mode.

FSB 100MHz instead of 166 MHz.

I have tryied changing the FSB in BIOS to 166, 133, and 100 they all fail to POST it will only POST after CLR CMOS for 1 start up.

This is the case for 3 seperate MB, 1 A7N8X and 2 A7N8X-E MB.

Any one have any ideas.

Memtest has not found a problem, but it is testing the memory at a very low speed do to the POST problem.

The jumpers have not been changed since I built the A7N8X Deluxe a year ago, but I did double check it to be sure and they are set for an FSB of 333MHz (default). I did change the jumpers for 5VSB to 5V while i was checking, due to a recent addition to the family, but this did not change the outcome of the POST.

On the A7N8X Deluxe I was running the FSB at 166, and the memory was set to aggressive; timing result was 5,2,2,2 on the BIOS, however, but Optimal and Agressive showed the same timing in BIOS. All other setting were default except for Quick POST was disabled. Let me know if you need any other specifics.

Lately the system has been running very slow and I rebuild the system from a clean install, thinking I had some unidentified soyware, or other background process. This did not change anything.

So I figure maybe I had a hardware problem, so I purchases an A7N8X-E Deluxe MB, but it would not POST except for CLR CMOS and then would only run 1 time. So I return the MB and got a second A7N8X-E deluxe, but it behaved the same as the first. So I return that one also.

Now in the last few hours the A7N8X start to complain the memory has failed and will not POST, but if I do a CLR CMOS it will post one time. In the last few minutes it POST a says the CPU has change.

Basically i can not do anything with the A7N8X Deluxe anylonger and i need to determine what the cause of the problem is so i can get the problem resolved. When the MB POST after a CLR CMOS on either the A7N8X or A7N8X-E the Athlon XP 2500+ was reported as running at 1100MHz.

Any other thought or question would be appreciated to help resolve this issue.

Thanks,

Joe

The test was run using the A7N8X Deluxe with the Athlon XP 2500+ after CLR CMOS was preformed.

Memtest detected the following:

Athlon XP 1094MHz

L1 128K 6712MB/s

L2 512K 2137MB/s

Memory 1024 806 MB/s

Chipset NVidia nForce2 SPP/FSB 99MHz

Settings RAM: 198MHz (DDR397)/CAS 2-2-2-6 Dual Channel (128bits)

run overnight for 8 passes

no errors detected

• Corsair Employees

Please load setup defaults and try these settings.

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

Memory Timings: Manual/User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

Then test the system with http://www.memtest.org.

Hello RAM GUY,

Amazingly I can actually POST with these settings. Any explaination why?

Memtest detects the following:

Athlon XP 1838MHz

L1 128K 11273MB/s

L2 512K 3588MB/s

Memory 1024M 1139MB/s

Chipset nVidia nForce2 SPP/FSB: 167MHz

Settings: RAM: 167MHz (DDR334)/CAS: 2-3-2-6/ Dual Channel (128 bits)

I will let it run overnight to see if it develops any errors.

Sounds suspiciously like a power supply issue. Either caused by adding one more item to the system or a local area dip in voltage from your power supply company (short brown out). Had this happen to me six years ago with a weak cmos battery on the motherboard; unlike your case changing the bios settings helped but didn't totally eliminate errors; ended up having to reflash the corrupt bios to correct it.

• Corsair Employees
Probably just got lucky! But if you were not running these settings your system was not running at its best performance and I would be willing to bet the system is faster and more stable with these settings. But electronics will change tolerance with time so probably just with time the tolerance has changed enough to start giving errors.

Hello RAM GUY,

So the SPD on the module is not the best setting for this module?

Also, I thought 2-2-2-5 which the system was reporting, under both Optimal and Aggressive, is faster than 2-3-2-6. If not, pls clarify.

Do you believe this module is ok?

Let me know your thoughts,

Thanks.

• Corsair Employees
No the module/'s is/are fine, and we have always suggested using manual settings with all of our XMS modules for best performance and compatibility. The settings you describe are done by the MB maker and may or may not have anything to do with the timings set in the modules SPD.

Hello RAM GUY,

Do you think the timing or the voltage increase is what is currently allowing the memory to operate. Previously the voltage was only 2.6, now it is 2.7.

Let me know your thoughts.

Regards,

Joe

PS. I will be on vacation for a week.

Archived