Corsair Community

Bad TwinX LL pair?

Whiplash7

I am having trouble with my TwinX 512MB PC3200 Low Latency (2x256MB) memory (CMX256A-3200LLPT XMS3205 v1.1). When I insert both sticks or only either stick (one stick at a time) into the motherboard, my system fails memory test at POST and will not boot. :[pouts:

Here are my current specs:

Mobo: ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Rev. 1.04

BIOS: 1007

Processor: AMD Athlon 1200 (133Mhz FSB x 9 = 1.2Ghz)

Video: nVidia GeForce FX 5700 Ultra

My memory settings are automatic (so it's currently running at DDR 266), but I have also tried by speed (to run it at the full 200/400 MHz).

I just downgraded my processor to the Athlon 1200. I was running an Athlon XP 2700+ (but I was getting the same memory errors with that as well with the memory running at DDR 333 or 400).

I have tried 2.6v, 2.7v, and 2.8v to no avail.

Anything else I can try before requesting an RMA? :confused:

Thanks!

Whiplash

When I insert both sticks or only either stick (one stick at a time) into the motherboard, my system fails memory test at POST and will not boot.

You're saying that either stick by itself won't boot the system?

If this is the case I'd say you probably have a bad MOBO.

The chances of both sticks going bad at the same time are pretty slim.

Have you tried different RAM in this system and did you try this RAM in another system?

You're saying that either stick by itself won't boot the system?

If this is the case I'd say you probably have a bad MOBO.

The chances of both sticks going bad at the same time are pretty slim.

Have you tried different RAM in this system and did you try this RAM in another system?

Sorry, I should have included a bit more info.

I have a 256MB stick of Viking DDR 400 that's working fine in this system/board.

I've tried this memory in two boards with the same results.

Interestingly enough, I was having some flakey problems with memory errors on POST, so I've just been leaving my computer on all the time. Last stretch was a couple months and then it croaked.

:idea: I'm wondering if my power supply is acting up (I think it is the only thing that I haven't messed with). So I'm going to load the board into a new case (which has a new power supply) and try it there.

I'll post the results (probably tomorrow).

Thanks,

Whiplash

No change with the new power supply. :sigh!:

Interestingly enough, if I put the Viking 256MB stick in slot 1 and the two Corsair sticks in slots 2 & 3, the system comes up fine, and memtest86 reports no errors after several passes. :confused:

If I go back to putting either Corsair stick in slot 1, it gives me the audible report "System failed memory test" and does not POST (I don't even get a VGA signal).

It almost seems like my ASUS A7N8X Deluxe is unable to properly detect the timings for the memory and just bails. :thinking:

I am going to update the BIOS to 1008, and try manually setting the timings and see if that helps.

Any other suggestions while I'm doing that?

I've spent hours on this. OY! :brick:

Thanks,

Whiplash

Archived