Corsair Community

ECS 945P-A and TWIN2X 1024-5400C4PRO

diskman50

I have seen this same issue posted once before but there was no resoultion to the post. This ECS mb supports memory speeds up to 667Mhz which is why I chose the 5400C4PRO matched pair modules. I have the bios set for SPD detect and I'm mot using any overclocking. The processor is 830D dual core FSB=800. During the POST portion of the boot the memory speed is displayed as follows: "The MCH is operating with DDR2 533/CL4 in Dual Channel Interleaved Mode". I've tried the 'performance' and 'optimum' settings in the bios with no change in the results. When I attempt to disable the SPD detection and manually set timings to 4 4 4 12 the system doesn't boot and I have to clear CMOS and start over. The EVEREST output for the memory bus properties with 7% overclocking is: Real Clock=287Mhz, Effective Clock=575Mhz. In the SPD section of EVEREST it reports the memory timings as 4 5 5 15 @ 333Mhz. Is this implying that I have to manually set CAS to these settings to achieve 667Mhz speed? I've also emailed ECS support and received canned responses like 'set the defaults to best performance' and 'memory speed to 667' neither of these had any effect. Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

• Corsair Employees
Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. You can get the tested settings by following the link in my signature.

Changing the dimm voltage to 2.1v had no effect. I've also emailed ECS support and they have only supplied superficial information such as clear cmos, load optimium defaults and set the memory clock to 667Mhz. None of which had any effect. I have some data from Sandra that I'm not quite sure how to interept. Under "Chipset 1" section the Max Memory Speed is listed as 4x167Mhz which is equal to 668Mhz. It seems that the mb thinks it can run that fast, The Max FSB is 4x267Mhz, Does this imply that I have to set the Clock Rate from 200Mhz to 267Mhz to obtain the 667Mhz memory speed?

In the "Chipset Memory Banks" section the timings are displayed as 4 4 4 12 which also matches what is printed on the memory modules and Corsair's data sheet for 5400C4PRO modules. However in the "Memory Module" section of the print out the speed is stated as PC2-5300U 4 5 5 15 and a second line item stating that the timing at 333Mhz is 4 5 5 15. I've manually set the timings to 4 5 5 15 but left the clock at 200Mhz and the system doesn't boot. I have to clear CMOS and load the standard defaults. I'm sure I'm missing somethig ry simple here but I can't imaging that I have to overclock the system by 25% to get a memory clock of 667Mhz. Any ideas on what I'm missing here? I've attached the Sandra output for you to look over.

Thank You Very Much

Sandra_output.txt

• Corsair Employees
You can follow the link in my signature for the tested settings we use to test these modules. But I am not sure this MB and CPU will be able to run at the settings we use. And I am sorry I have not seen this MB so I do not know about the bios settings. You will need to talk to ECS. Or you can try http://www.houseofmobos.com if you like.

Thanks for your help, there was nothing on House of Mother Baords for an ECS 945P. I did use Corsairs tool to select the correct memory for my motherboard. ECS was listed and it picked the 5400C4Pro as compatible. Can you take a quick look at the Sandra.txt file I attached in my previous post to see if anything jumps out at you.

Thanks,

The bios settings are the stock settings but the DRAM frequency was changed from Auto to 667Mhz. This mb supports an FSB of 1066/800/533. The ECS support people would like to know if the Corsair 5400C4Pro is capable of running at 667Mhz without overclocking? Apparently certain memory manufactueres such as Elpida produce 667Mhz dimms that run at that speed without overclocking.

I've finally resolved my problem after going back and forth between Corsair and ECS, who is the motherboard manufacturer, both companies blamed the other. I purchased 2GB of Patriot Signature DDR2 memory and it ran right out of the box at 667Mhz. I did not have to make any bios changes at all. The Patriot partnumber is PSD22G667K. I purchased the 2GB dimms at the same price as the Corsair 1GB dimms. Returned the Corsair dimms to Fyr's. I don't want to sound ungreatfull for the support that I've received on this fourm and I realize how difficult is to remotely troubleshoot a problem without replacement parts on hand. Maybe it was just the combination of my motherboard and the particular Corsair diimms that I purchased. Either way I'm glad the problem is resolved and once again thanks for the help.

Archived